Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow Dolly uneven tire wear.

Hello gang, anybody have any idea why my tow dolly tires are wearing in this way?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	33532
Both the Left and Right tires are doing this.

The dolly is a Mastertow and I carry a 04 Sebring on the dolly.

Thanks,
Stewart

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

I don't know the answer but my Master Tow did exactly the same. I took it to the trailer place and they thought it could be, 1. underinflated tires, 2. misaligned axle or a combination. Mine is sitting in my back yard with tires that look exactly like that and now I tow flat.

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know for a dolly, but if it were on my four wheeler, I would suspect camber due to the one sided wear and balance due to what looks like cupping.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
DAMON DAYBREAK OWNER

Workhorse Chassis Owner
papaw.1

Hi IMDSailer,
I have a Master Tow tow dolly 80thd and have not had any problems at all.You may could call Master Tow and get some answers from them.To me it looks like the alignment is screwed up.If you stand behind and look at the tires do they look straight up?You can tell by the wear they are leaning to the outside so in IMHO I would take to a alignment shop.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.
2 Fur baby Doxies (Harley & Gracie)
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Hello gang, anybody have any idea why my tow dolly tires are wearing in this way?
Attachment 33532

Thanks,
Stewart
I had the exact same problem with my original tires on the Mastertow. The answer was extremely worn brake pads (only 1/16 pad left) which caused some uneven bumping from side to side. This was after only 10,000 miles of use. New brake pads and new tires and everything is OK for a while but I sure expected these items to last a lot longer.

Don
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply's guys. Some things for me for me to check once spring comes around.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
TGR

I would reach out to Master Tow, and explain what you are experiencing. I suspect they will want to see the pictures.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Attachment 33532

Thanks,
Stewart

I cant say for sure but if I were to guess the wear is on the outside of the tire and that is what takes the beating when you do cornering . When you turn to the left the outside of the left dolly tire is where most of the turning resistance is focused and when you turn to the right the same is so for the outside of the right dolly tire.....Alan
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tire Wear

Have the alignment checked on the tow dolly. I had severe tire wear (to the point of 2 blowouts) on trip from Fl to AK. Alignment fixed the problem.

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2008 Element TOAD_E
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
same problem here tighten wheel bearings every 3000 miles.had carisel tires on it.will be going 4 down when we can.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
First check to see if the dolly is rated for the weight of the vehicle. Second some old school measurements will tell you if the alignment is off.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of people don't think trailer tires need balancing but they will last a lot longer if you do.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Response from Mastertow

The question I sent to Mastertow;

Hello, I’m hoping you can shed some light on to the reason for this uneven tire wear. I purchased this dolly, 80THD, last year. It had sat on the dealers lot for a number of years, I believe it’s a 08, but had never been used. I tow a 04 Chrysler Sebring with the dolly. We towed for about 3000 miles in the year. Both the left and right side are showing this wear. The picture is of the left side (While looking back) or the passenger side ( looking forward).

Mastertows response;

Oxidation, not tread wear

According to rubber industry research, trailer tires need to be replaced after 3-5 years of use, even though they usually appear to have plenty of tread left. Unlike your car’s tires, it isn’t miles of driving but oxidation of the rubber that wears out the tire. Mostly, a trailer tire sits in one spot for days or weeks at a time, and may travel only 10,000 miles (or sometimes a lot less) per year. UV radiation from sunlight and ozone from exhaust cause exterior damage to the sidewalls, and oxygen from pressurized air creates unseen damage deep inside.

Radial or bias ply tires?

Radial tires have plies that run perpendicularly across the tire and belts (often made of steel) running below the tread around the tire’s circumference. Bias ply tires have their plies running at 30 angles (like the stripes on a candy cane). Most motorists believe radials are better (and they are for your auto). Should you buy them for your trailer?
The answer depends on your trailer’s handling. Bias ply tires have stiffer sidewalls, so if your rig tends to sway, they may help reduce this problem. They also have advantages for carrying heavy loads. Radials, as most of us know, are vastly superior for tread wear. They’ll last an average of 40,000 miles vs. 12,000 for bias plies. However, oxidation, not tread wear, wears out trailer tires. Radial tires are also less prone to developing flat spots on one side when they are parked in the same position for weeks at a time, and tend to run cooler on long trips. Bottom line: consider your trailer’s handling and the manufacturer’s recommended tire type. If you travel long distances and/or put lots of miles on your tires every year, radials are worth the extra cost.

My thoughts, Clearly I have to replace the tires, I'll try radials, and monitor the tire wear.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #14

I have the Master Tow Dolly. Had Bias Ply tires.
My tread wear would think they were under inflated, wore badly on the inside and outside. Always had the recommended 50 PSI.
Also talked to another owner with similar wear, he also had the recommended 50 PSI.
I put radials on, the same size and ratings and after 8000 miles the wear looks much better.

Tags
dolly