Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
They are some vehicles that can't be towed by either 4 down or dolly.
Those can only be towed on a Trailer.

So some research is needed in all vehicles, they may want to use 99% of the time. What they have to use the other 1% may work 4 down or Dolly.

Ok yes, my fault, I forgot that you can't assume, on these forums, that anyone is
smart enough to check on whether the vehicle they are spending thousands
of dollars on is going to be able to be towed at all. So let's detail the poor guy
to death and assume that he doesn't have a brain. And be sure to remind him
to hook his toad to the MH and make sure all his tires are inflated......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Ok yes, my fault, I forgot that you can't assume, on these forums, that anyone is
of dollars on is going to be able to be towed at all. So let's detail the poor guy

Thanks for saying what I was thinking...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post

I thought I was doing the "smart" thing by asking these questions. I did check to see if my Toyota 4runner was 4 down capable. It is according to the owners manual and Remco.
I have learned a lot by asking this question. I appreciate all the replies on this topic.

Especially the one where I learned I am not "Smart"

Dan
RV Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Dan View Post
I thought I was doing the "smart" thing by asking these questions. I did check to see if my Toyota 4runner was 4 down capable. It is according to the owners manual and Remco.
I have learned a lot by asking this question. I appreciate all the replies on this topic.

Dan

My point was that on these forums, there are some posters that don't think you are smart enough to think the obvious and want to spell it out for you. You asked the right questions, but some posters think they have to tell you every little detail that would be obvious to anyone. I was not saying you aren't smart, I was poking fun at those who didn't think you were smart enough to think of the obvious..

I definitely need a sarcasm font............

Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Dan View Post

Dan
Dan,

I have felt the same way many times on this forum and in most cases I let it go because I try to think that these guys are trying to help. On the other hand you have people that roam around trying to agitate people that are asking honest questions looking for help. These are the 10% you find everywhere and the ones I push back on.

Happy RVing!
Jack
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #34

both ways

We have done it both ways, had a Jeep Cherokee but now use a dolly with a Nissan Versa. A little easier using the 4 down but not really any problems using the dolly. When we get to where we will be staying for a while we save a lot of money using the Nissan for touring the area because it gets 35 mpg versus the Jeeps 20 mpg. Also, with the Jeep being 4 down the driveline is still turning, even though it does not rack up miles on the speedo the driveline is still adding all of the miles driven. Ujoints, front cv joints, axles, front and rear differential and 4 wheel bearings and tires are all turning as if it were being driven. Only wear on the Nissan is 2 wheel bearings and 2 tires and of course the dolly tires and wheel bearings. Regardless, the final choice is up to each person. Both ways work fine.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #35

I have towed using both methods but my preference is four down because of the easy hookup and drop. Also I found some campgrounds that were so small that I had to store my dolly under my coach. I now pull a Smart car with four down and have never had any problems just a lot of stares and laughing.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #36

I currently tow using a dolly, because one of my cars (smart fortwo) can be towed 4-down, but isn't big enough to take along my Great Dane. The other car, a Chevy Aveo, IS big enough, but it's a front-wheel drive that can't be towed 4-down, and Remco doesn't even make a transmission pump for it. So.....I went with an Eze-Tow Dolly that allows me to take either car. If we take the Dane, we take the Aveo. If we don't we take smartie. :>) However, just this evening, after returning home from a trip today and thinking that it would be a lot more convenient to have a tow bar setup on my smart. Quicker, easier, faster setup. No crawling around hooking up safety chains underneath the car, no pushing a dolly around or finding a large parking lot big enough to accomodate the coach, dolly, and car without blocking the drive in the campground, etc. Then if it's raining, spending 20+ minutes getting the car on the dolly, wheels strapped down, safety chains hooked up........well, you get the idea. So.....for me, I'm going to choose BOTH, and I'm looking at all the tow bar setups now to try and decide which one will be best for ME. :>) In the end, it just depends on what's most important to YOU, and that's what really matters. People insinuated "I" was stupid too, e.g. "Your smart is towable 4-down. Why in the world would you want a tow dolly!!!???" Well, DUH, because with myself and my wife in my smart car, should I hook my very large, 140-lb. Great Dane's leash to the door handle and let him run along beside the car if we want to go out sightseeing/touring and take him along, or to a dog park or the beach? :>O Everyone has their OWN circumstances, and you just have to ignore some people's "help?". :>)
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dolly is preferable from two reasons I experienced, first is most front wheel drive vehicles can be towed on dolly, so if you already have more than 1 front wheel drive vehicle either should be able to go on the dolly. The second reason is it is less expensive generally than the 4 wheel down set up compared to the dolly. I have used every method, dolly, 4 wheel down, and trailer, each one has positives and negatives, you will need to determine which is best for you and your circumstances. Personally, I prefer the trailer option and 4 wheel down option, but only have the trailer option available to me currently. Good Luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are in fact 4 ways to tow, Each has advantages and disadvantages.

1: 4-Down
2: Dolly
3: Open trialer
4: Enclosed trailer

now I have had dolly advocates tell me it was easier than 4-down.. I've done both, they clearly have not.

But some cars can not be towed 4 down.. But you put the drive wheels on a dolly. Good to tow.. Just don't forget to recheck the tie-downs often

Likewise a full trailer puts very little wear on the car.. SOME cars, however, you have to so someting special to trailer them (NOTE: These can not be towed 4 down either or dollyed.. But they can be trailered IF you follow the special instruction.. used to work for a tow company, they taught us the trick).

Enclosed trailers (See above comment) double as a garage, keeping car clean and dry.

HOWEVER

Towing 4 down adds perhaps 50 pounds to the car (Tow bar) if that.

Towing with dolly, up to around a thousand, trailer 2-3 and anothe thousand to enclose it.

And if you have a Gasser which has a tow limit under 5,000 pounds that don't leave you with much car to tow.