Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having towed the same vehicle ('05 Honda Odyssey) behind the same RV (41' Dutch Star) both on a dolly (KarKaddy 460) and four down (RoadMaster Sterling towbar and RoadMaster 9160 brake unit) I can honestly say: It doesn't really matter! I like the dolly as it follows the RV better and less chance of damage/wear to the Ody but it is a little more trouble to park on your spot. Only once have I had to park it away from the RV and that was at an FMCA rally. No limit on towing speed or miles. Loading and unloading is very easy although you do need to stop after about 15 miles and check the tie down straps.

Four down requires a little more care in that you must run the transmission through the gears in the correct order, being sure the electrics are turned off but still leaving the ignition unlocked. On the Ody I had to add a charge line or the battery went dead. Doesn't follow the RV as well either.

In both cases you must be sure the parking brake is off, I didn't and need to rebuild the parking brakes now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had an Acme EZE tow and it was very well built and towed great. I now tow four down and like that a lot more because of the ease and speed to attach and detach my toad.

With the tow dolly, Ihad to stop about 10 miles down the road after take off, just to make sure the straps were still uber tight. In the end, if you need a tow dolly to bring your vehicle, go for it.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesc View Post
Wanted to hear from everyone using tow dolly. Seems most tow four down but we have car that cannot be towed four down. Do not want to buy anther car anytime soon. Is a tow dolly the answer?

This dolly is very popular also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414962846.179255.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	78095
Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

There is one point that must be understood about a fixed frame dolly like EZE-tow...the car's steering MUST be unlocked and free to pivot -just like flat towing a car. The car's steering pivots to negotiate turns.
On my wife's car with no ignition key, how would you unlock the steering wheel without turning the car ON and leaving it on?

Matter of fact, how would you do it with a key-start car without draining the battery by leaving the key in the ON position?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For keyless ignition, check that there is even any steering lock...might not even be one.

Most modern cars with steering locks (many now do not have locks) are simple by:
Turning key to run (like while loading on the dolly),
Turn engine off,
Then Leave key in key hole - engine off position.

Using the valet key for this and keeping the regular key in the RV prevents an accidental lock-out.

EZE as can be, and little different from flat towing.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #20

Evergreen Owners Club
I was in the same vote , I didn't want to buy a new car and the dolly worked great , like what I said previous it just take's some time to load and unload , The big problem is when your car can not be towed 4 down and you decide to buy one now you still have to spend an extra $ 2000 + for the 4 down system so it's start's to cost a lot of money when you just spent a bunch on a rv . Just give your self a 1/2 hour or so to load and unload and you will be fine with a dolly
Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
I have a Mastertow Tow Dolly 80THDEB and it works great for us.Went out West last month.Towed a little over 4000 miles with no problems at all.Safe travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #22

I too have an eze-tow, I have a car that I don't want to get rid of. I love my 93 Cutlass vert. Looks like nothing else on the road anymore. Don't see many anymore. Anyway, I can load and unload all by myself and I'm an older female traveling by myself and dog. Nothing easier. A tow dolly is the best choice for me
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
For keyless ignition, check that there is even any steering lock...might not even be one.

Good news, bad news. The Sequoia works by leaving the key in the ignition, but the car we'd take (keyless Lexus) locks up. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow on a fix, unless somebody already knows how to do it?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
by the way I had a Acme tow dolly and is was great but if I bought another one I would get one with ramp's already in place , The acme ramp's, you had to line up perfect every time you load and unload and the store the ramp's some place

mike
Acme recently got rid of the plastic ramps and went to longer metal ramps. Much better, lighter, and hook to the dolly, and easy to stow on the dolly, I'm jealous
Old 11-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I also use the Acme EZE Tow. My car was not towable and it wasn't in the owners manual, so I found out after the purchase. It's more work to load the car, especially the chains from the dolly to the car, but it's also a one time purchase. Now that I have the dolly, I don't need to buy anything else to tow a different car in the future. With four down towing, a lot of the essentials go with the car when you sell it.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #26

Several questions about the dollys:

A. There are several Stehl dollys for sale in the area. Are they good, bad or ugly?

B. What about swivel? Why would it be needed, and what swivels? Do they come with or w/o the swivel feature?

C. Do they come with or without brakes?

D. If electric brakes, how do they get wired into the coach's braking system, and is there a controller, similar to what our pickup trucks have?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Good news, bad news. The Sequoia works by leaving the key in the ignition, but the car we'd take (keyless Lexus) locks up. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow on a fix, unless somebody already knows how to do it?
Update. The Lexus service guy hasn't ever heard the question before, and doesn't know how to keep the steering wheel loose (not locked). He asked why does it need to be free if the front tires are secured to the dolly?

Answer??
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Update. He asked why does it need to be free if the front tires are secured to the dolly?

Answer??
Something has to turn, the dolly wheels, a dolly pan, or the car wheels. You would have the same problem with 4 down, so it's not just a dolly problem. Some cars will unlock the column in "accessory key position" , some pull a fuse and leave key in "on", others run a hot wire from the coach to keep the battery up, some disconnect the battery. Someone will be along with your brand car to give "sound advice". You might also e-mail Acme, Richard (owner) is very good at quick answers. Are you positive the column locks, being key-less poses a question, what locks it. A lot of Asian cars do not.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly