Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #43

What year is your Soul? My 2013 6 speed Base does not lock. I went on the KIA forum and it was a mixed bag, some said they locked, some said no.

I have a 2011 Sport. The steering used to lock, because after a toe, I would have to turn the wheel to get the key to turn. After the pin broke, I had to pull the tumbler to free it up.

The Stehl Tow swivel plate has a limited travel range, I think to protect against a fender strike.
That along with the short KIA wheelbase, and a long overhang of my 30 ft Gulfstream Class C makes for some sharp angles back there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #44

Our RV friends just this year switched from towing a mini cooper on a dolly to a 4 down Lincoln MXS hybrid toad and they don't miss having to worry about where to stow the dolly, and having to man-handle the dolly once they are at a campsite. A lot of campgrounds will not let you store the dolly on the grass, therefore it gets to be a hassle.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #45

Mid Atlantic Campers
Have an EZE tow. It works good but follow directions. Centering straps on tire and ratchet a must. Also, don't forget to take safety chains off FIRST! Nothing like trying to back car up with chains stopping you. Had to remove ramps and reinstall straps to safely remove chains. Trust me you only do that once!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
A lot of campgrounds will not let you store the dolly on the grass, therefore it gets to be a hassle.
That's a valid point. So far only a Hi-End resort has required me to put it in a storage area. I have been there 3 times and I just drive thru the area and drop it, they then place it and get it out when I'm ready to leave. If it is a pull thru campground I leave it hooked to the MH. Only once have I had a "back in" and I just rolled it in, then backed the MH in. One more thought, if you have a Gasser normally you can back almost completely over the ACME due to its very low profile, my recent MH buy with 22.5 tires allows the ACME to go completely under the MH in my covered storage unit.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Lights with a dolly

Another question on the tow dolly option.... Am I required to use some sort of external light bar across the back of my towed vehicle? Or are the dolly's brake / tail lights sufficient? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #48

With the lights being mounted on the dolly are so low, and with bad weather, I have found while following my friends toad on a dolly the fender lights are not very effective.....he did resort to a set of wireless trailer lights. He felt that lights being mounted on the roof of the toad, made the visibility much better....it did.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
Another question on the tow dolly option.... Am I required to use some sort of external light bar across the back of my towed vehicle? Or are the dolly's brake / tail lights sufficient? Thanks!
In some states the distance from the lights of the dolly (or open trailer) to the rear of the towed vehicle is regulated and enforced. A few years ago we found this out in Wyoming, just south of Jackson Hole. Maybe the law has changed or we were just "lucky"!

RE: the OP's question. I have a couple of TOADS and depending on the circumstances I'll use a dolly, enclosed trailer, or tow 4 down. For "standard" trips I prefer towing the PU 4 down.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The on-dolly lights are 50 State and Canada legal according to Demco's and Acme's research - for turn and brake lights.

BUT - some states have laws about the maximum distance from the edge of the towed vehicle to the clearance lights (parking lights) for driving at night (including our home state).

So being safe, we just turn on the car's parking lights when driving at night. They can run for hours without too much drain on the car's battery.

Safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The on-dolly lights are 50 State and Canada legal according to Demco's and Acme's research - for turn and brake lights.

BUT - some states have laws about the maximum distance from the edge of the towed vehicle to the clearance lights (parking lights) for driving at night (including our home state).

So being safe, we just turn on the car's parking lights when driving at night. They can run for hours without too much drain on the car's battery.

Safe travels.
Our ticket was issued in the middle of a bright, sunshine filled day... clearance/tail lights not required in daylight conditions, and all other lights were functional. His stated reason for pulling me over was he suspected the dolly lights were not in compliance with state law. Officer pulled out his tape measure and measured from the rear of the Honda Accord we were towing at the time to the combination tail light/brake light/turn signal fixture mounted on the fender of the dolly. I have no idea what the law was but I didn't have a copy of Wyoming statutes with me and wasn't going to debate him on the side of the road in his town. Bear in mind this was several years ago.

An Accord is a fairly short car particularly on a dolly so I would be interested in the distance quoted in the statute. Although we rarely use the dolly these days, we haven't had any issues since and have towed much larger (longer) vehicles in several states.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
(Some assembly required.)

The Kar Kaddy 3
Mine was delivered to my work place (retirement center) at the front door. Couldn't get it to the back so I spent a cold day (snowing at the time) assembling it in front of the building. Got it done but couldn't torque a couple of the bolts correctly till I got home.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #53

Well, armed (or, well-armed?) with the knowledge of the group, and with a new ad that just appeared, I'm heading out this morning to buy a new-looking Stehl with straps and surge brakes. It's price seems to be under par for the condition (including new tires).
I don't know about lights, but the rest looks as new, so we'll see.

How much road rash can be expected on the front of her toad, and is there anything that I can do to minimize it?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #54

I have a clear bar on my Malibu. It is permanently installed and made by 3M. Also, a full mud guard on the coach will help as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have a clear bar on my Malibu. It is permanently installed and made by 3M. Also, a full mud guard on the coach will help as well.
Mud guard is easy, and makes sense. What is a clear bar, and are they removable?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
After much research, we decided to go with a tow dolly vs. the 4 down with a braking system. We currently have a PT Cruiser that we have been towing 4 down with a Brake Buddy braking system, but we wanted a new tow vehicle so we bought a brand new 2014 Ford Edge. We were going to have the unified tow brake system installed but after reading about the installation process, we didn't like the idea of all the work that would be required not only in the passenger area, but also on the firewall and under the hood. We were also concerned about not being able to tow any other vehicle without expensive upgrades / mods.

We went with the ACME EZ tow dolly. I've read lots of good feedback on this model and I like the fact that it's lighter weight than every other dolly we looked at. (it's at 380 lbs) The price was decent too. Less than half the cost of the unified tow brake system. It should arrive around Nov. 18th and we're planning a weekend trip in December.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly