Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #57

Well, I'm an idiot. While I knew that having a toad is good, and that a dolly allows us to not have to buy another vehicle, I didn't think about the obvious...how would I plan to back it into the narrow slot through some trees that houses our MH?

Un-hooking in the street is out, because horsing the dolly 250' on a slight grade isn't going to happen. Looks like we can't use a dolly.

for anybody that's looking, here's the link to a dolly in Mobile that's priced very attractively. Tow Dolly ( like new)

Hope somebody can use it. I'm not affiliated with the seller, just passing along information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #58

Good thing, that dolly has electric brakes, not surge brakes. Some people have put a hitch on the toad to move the dolly around. Just saying.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Well, I'm an idiot. While I knew that having a toad is good, and that a dolly allows us to not have to buy another vehicle, I didn't think about the obvious...how would I plan to back it into the narrow slot through some trees that houses our MH?

Un-hooking in the street is out, because horsing the dolly 250' on a slight grade isn't going to happen. Looks like we can't use a dolly.

for anybody that's looking, here's the link to a dolly in Mobile that's priced very attractively. Tow Dolly ( like new)

Hope somebody can use it. I'm not affiliated with the seller, just passing along information.
Rick, reading between the lines here but you're likely to have a large riding mower, utv or atv on a place with woods and a 250' driveway. You can install a ball on one of those to maneuver the dolly on your property. JMO
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #60
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Good news, bad news. The Sequoia works by leaving the key in the ignition, but the car we'd take (keyless Lexus) locks up. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow on a fix, unless somebody already knows how to do it?
Quote:

Un-hooking in the street is out, because horsing the dolly 250' on a slight grade isn't going to happen. Looks like we can't use a dolly...

So...will it be $$ to set-up the Sequoia to flat tow because the Lexus steering locks - still need the steering to pivot to flat tow...can the Sequoia even be flat towed?

That's A LOT of toad (over 5700lb according to Edmunds) Hope you consider a supplemental braking for that heavy of a toad.

However....either car (or a garden tractor) could tow a dolly up the driveway with a tiny Class I hitch...or get one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MT70225_1000.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	78418

$59 From E-Trailer or Harbor Freight.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #61
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine was delivered to my work place (retirement center) at the front door. Couldn't get it to the back so I spent a cold day (snowing at the time) assembling it in front of the building. Got it done but couldn't torque a couple of the bolts correctly till I got home.
It is a bit of a job to assemble, but not too complicated. I think you have the Cadillac of tow dollys. My opinion anyway.

I purchased a wireless light set that goes in the rear window of our Jedda. Slick!
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #62
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I purchased a wireless light set that goes in the rear window of our Jedda. Slick!
This:

TrucknTow - Limelight Wireless Tail Light
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Rick, reading between the lines here but you're likely to have a large riding mower, utv or atv on a place with woods and a 250' driveway. You can install a ball on one of those to maneuver the dolly on your property. JMO
Agreed, and the tractor could do it easily. I'm guessing that my DW's reluctance might be more about her new Lexus getting road rash on it, and I can't argue that point. I asked her to think about it for awhile, because having a toad sure opens up travel options.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I killed two birds with one stone. Constructed a light bar fastened to my hitch ball. Now I feel a little better having lights all the way to the rear, plus I can move the Tow Dolly with the Toad if needed. I just remove the receiver and keep it in the MH basement. So far as road damage the tow dolly elevates the car nose enough to prevent most paint damage, so far 4000 miles, zero damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	78449  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I killed two birds with one stone. Constructed a light bar fastened to my hitch ball. Now I feel a little better having lights all the way to the rear, plus I can move the Tow Dolly with the Toad if needed. I just remove the receiver and keep it in the MH basement. So far as road damage the tow dolly elevates the car nose enough to prevent most paint damage, so far 4000 miles, zero damage.
Now there's a great idea
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #66

On our Toyota Camry Hybrid it has the locking steering with the keyless ignition. Does anyone dolly this type of car? How do you unlock steering? According to the manual you should not leave the Accessory on for long periods of time.

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #67
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesc View Post
On our Toyota Camry Hybrid it has the locking steering with the keyless ignition. Does anyone dolly this type of car? How do you unlock steering? According to the manual you should not leave the Accessory on for long periods of time.
With a dolly that has a pivot pan or steering axle, there is no need to unlock the car's steering. That is the majority of dolly's design...and like all U-Haul rental dollies.
Only the fixed frame style dollies (like Acme) require the steering to be unlocked.

We towed our old Honda all over the US on a MasterTow dolly...steering locked, transmission in park, key off, doors locked... just like the car was parked (except no parking brake).

I would bet that the Camry steering lock uses power to stay in the unlocked position, since there is no mechanical connection like with a keyed ignition lock. No problem, get any of the many, many dollies made with a pivot pan or steering axle, like from Demco, Stelh, MasterTow and others.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I want to keep my two VW's (passatt & eos) that can't be flat towed. I'm looking at the kar Kaddy SS and am wondering if extra tail lights are required or are the fender lights on the Kar kaddy adequate?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #69

I use the KK SS with my GTI and it tows great. I don't know the laws in every state but in Maryland the lights on the dolly are adequate because they can be seen from behind. I am really glad I got the KK. I ordered it online and it was shipped to the house and I assembled it.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
I want to keep my two VW's (passatt & eos) that can't be flat towed. I'm looking at the kar Kaddy SS and am wondering if extra tail lights are required or are the fender lights on the Kar kaddy adequate?
Would love to find out how you make out. The Passat and the EOS are two cars on our next car list, although apparently the Sportwagon is moving from the Passat to the Gold platform in 2015.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly