Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Tow Dolly - Where do the toad light plug in?

Looking at tow dollies and what I don't see mentioned is where the brake/turn signal lights of the toad plug in. Do any of the tow dollies have another connector pigtail as part of the plug that goes to the RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

I don't think they plug in, because you have lights on the dollie.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
I don't think they plug in, because you have lights on the dollie.
Some jurisdictions require lights on a toad period, So I would not assume the dolly lights only is wise.

Even LP lights are required on toads in some jurisdictions. (Have never heard of enforcement of this law)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You'd have to add a connector to the dolly wiring to wire the car you tow. Dollies are used by folks that don't want to mess with wiring toads, just roll it up, strap and chain down, and drive off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I installed a combination 7-way and 4wire plug on the MH. The Dolly plugs into the 7 wire and the additional lights I have for the car plug into the 4 wire connector. This made for a neat and clean installation that has been trouble free for the last 15k miles.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
X 2, did the same for our 99 deville, I wanted the car lights to work along side of the KarKaddySS (except headlights) turn, break and side markers all work . Gained another set of break lights and turn signals
Hooked up starting in the trunk with the Diode ran under back of back seat under the thresholds at the 2 doors and thru the firewall up to the grill. It look's clean and pretty cool we think...
Now just waiting for Mother nature, just was told that there is snow coming on Monday

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #7

I found a two-way splitter for the four wire plug. We use mag mount lights on the toad.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
X 2, did the same for our 99 deville, I wanted the car lights to work along side of the KarKaddySS (except headlights) turn, break and side markers all work . Gained another set of break lights and turn signals
Hooked up starting in the trunk with the Diode ran under back of back seat under the thresholds at the 2 doors and thru the firewall up to the grill. It look's clean and pretty cool we think...
Now just waiting for Mother nature, just was told that there is snow coming on Monday

Thanks. I did find the wiring kit for my car. It is a 2008 Malibu. It can be flat towed but I don't want to hack up the air dams and air baffles in the front of the car so I am looking hard at a tow dolly.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
I found a two-way splitter for the four wire plug. We use mag mount lights on the toad.
Thanks for the input. Based on your input I did a search and found one of these which is perfect for wiring up the car with the dolly.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

As my dolly has electric brakes, it has a 7 pin plug so I opened the wiring harness on the dolly and cut the four light wires (easy to identify as Master Tow uses a flat 4 wire trailer cable and adds a ground and hot for the brakes) and spliced male and female 4 pin connectors in.
Leave it as is for dolly only lights and disconnect and plug in magnetic lights when car is loaded on the dolly. This leaves the brake circuit connected whether or not the car is loaded.
Saw no reason to run both dolly and mag lights together and this way it reduces load on the MH light system.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a MasterTow dolly and I carry a set of toad magnetic lights if needed. I plug the dolly into the MH to use the brlakes and lights. If I am somewhere that requires lights on the toad then I unplug the dolly and plug the magnetic lights into the MH. So far no problems with only using the dolly lights. We tow a Volvo V70 wagon.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post

The reasons for the way I went was because my magnets on the lights that you put on the rear of the car ended up turning into each other and that happened after only 75 miles. Must have to much wax on the cadie then there is trying to run the wires to the front to plug in. Looks tacky for us.
Now we only have too plug into the plug @ the grill. Car lights work along with the MH and the KarKaddyss.
JS,Tim
by the way I spent $80.00 bucks for those lights that have sitting in the garage for the last 2 years, I'll sell um for 50 bucks.

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, toad, tow dolly