Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tow Dolly with room to include motorcycle

I ve been looking at these: The Carrier and Lift Store motorcycle trailers

Does anyone here have any experience with this product/company? We tow a little Geo Tracker 2 dr and want to include our Indian Scout.

Thanks,eh?

Brad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had not heard of the maker linked to above, but a similar design by Landgrebe has been discussed on iRV2:
These dolly's have caster steering on the axle (no pivot pan, no need to unlock car's steering) like the Demco KarKaddy.

http://www.towtrailer.com/#!our-products/c161y

We tow with a dolly and this set-up looks like it should work perfectly.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

X2. Have pulled with a Landgrebe tow dolly for 5+ years. Extremely well built and no problems. They will custom build to your needs.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Draboo,
I have a Race City tandem tow dolly that I tow a Harley Trike and a Hyundai Elantra GT and have never had an issue.We have put approximately 5000 miles on the dolly and we bought it used.It is the Tandem Tow Dolly HD.with surge brakes.Good Luck.I will try and post some pics.of my set up later.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi Draboo,
I have a Race City tandem tow dolly that I tow a Harley Trike and a Hyundai Elantra GT and have never had an issue.We have put approximately 5000 miles on the dolly and we bought it used.It is the Tandem Tow Dolly HD.with surge brakes.Good Luck.I will try and post some pics.of my set up later.
x2 put at least 15K miles on my race city tandem tow dolly, harley ultra and chev malibu.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2000 Tracker and a scooter. I prefer to flat tow and am looking at fabricating a carrier for the RV that does not connect to the receiver hitch so that I can tow as well. Are you set on a tow dolly? If so why?
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
X3 Tandem Tow. I have a 2011 with 8X10 deck and tow a Harley Ultra Classic and Kia Van behind our V10 with no problems what so ever. Now thinking about a lighter car (Miata) and might go to a small enclosed trailer.
W3BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Interesting, thanks for posting this. We run from OR to WV and back previously with our TC and now starting this coming Summer with a 26' Flair. We have flat towed a Samurai and now a Tracker for the last 10 or 15 years and I've been wondering for the last few years how I could also take along our Honda Silverwing. For a number of years we carried a Honda S 90 along on a modified basket carrier that plugs into the receiver on the Tracker, but it would be nice to have a larger bike. I've had a dolly for years and considered modifying it to carry the Silverwing and Tracker, but have always been concerned about the hitch weight. It looks like it works for these guys so I think I'll have a go at it too.

mbridinger, I have a ramp that plugs into a receiver that would carry our Silverwing which weights about 500lb, but that plus the weight of the ramp would then become hitch weight. I would be concerned about that, although it may work for your scooter if it is lighter. I got the ramp from a friend who carried a lighter bike on it while towing and I think it worked OK for him. The OP's Indian is probably heavier than our Silverwing. The S 90 weighted about 200lb and the reciever on the Tracker carried it fine so I would think the MH would too.

I had a '47 Harley back in the '50s and a friend had an Indian. I tried riding the Indian once and was really confused, all the controls were opposite. I hope they've sorted that out. :-)) My '67 Triumph was a little different too.

Steve
Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3BY View Post
X3 Tandem Tow. I have a 2011 with 8X10 deck and tow a Harley Ultra Classic and Kia Van behind our V10 with no problems what so ever. Now thinking about a lighter car (Miata) and might go to a small enclosed trailer.
It looks like your setup probably has a 5000/500 tow/tongue limit like our Bounder 35K.
Your Harley probably weighs about the same as our golf cart and we'll add a 2007 Toyota Highlander.
My primary concern has been the excessive tongue weight with 900# loaded so far forward on the Tandem Tow.
Have you had any issues with your setup or did you change the reciever hitch to allow for the extra tongue weight?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
It looks like your setup probably has a 5000/500 tow/tongue limit like our Bounder 35K.
Your Harley probably weighs about the same as our golf cart and we'll add a 2007 Toyota Highlander.
My primary concern has been the excessive tongue weight with 900# loaded so far forward on the Tandem Tow.
Have you had any issues with your setup or did you change the reciever hitch to allow for the extra tongue weight?
I looked in the matrix, in the back of the tandem tow owners manual and it shows how to position your vehicle to 'balance' the load, or at least remove some of the tongue weight. I will however upgrade my hitch to a class IV ASAP so I have a better feeling about the whole thing.

W3BY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly