Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
In the interest of full disclosure...just a word of caution about Tow Dolly's with fixed ramps. Can be a problem for cars that have a low sideboard:

The video shows a Stehl dolly, but it's the fixed ramps that could be the problem.

Safe travels
I have pulled my Sebring convertible(Avery low riding car) on my Demco Kar Kaddy SS for almost nine years now and have never had any problem with the ramps hitting the car. It looks to me that the tounge on the dolly in the picture has been lowered to give the impresion that this is a problem. Those ramps are realy high off the ground.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I have pulled my Sebring convertible(Avery low riding car) on my Demco Kar Kaddy SS for almost nine years now and have never had any problem with the ramps hitting the car. It looks to me that the tounge on the dolly in the picture has been lowered to give the impresion that this is a problem. Those ramps are realy high off the ground.
Congrats on towing the Sebring with no issues. The Demco SS is a very nice dolly!

For the video - it's the RV going over the curb that is the problem...not a lowered hitch. The RV has a long tail section that is almost hitting the ground when the rear wheels are in the gutter.
In the first few seconds of the video, you can see the RV has a straight hitch (no drop) in the receiver.

It is just something perspective dolly users would want to check for

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #17

Carolina Campers
I had a dolly. My best solution as the best fix for the tow dolly was to sell it and get a tow bar to flat tow. I will never go back to a dolly.

My Honda Accord could not be flat towed when I started out, so had to have a dolly.

I switched over to my '05 Ford Escape, because it flat towed easily. Now going to a new Honda CR-V, which can be flat towed.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That only took 3 days

The flat tow crowd is a loyal bunch, but I'll keep my dolly...
There's NO mods or miles added to my car, I can switch cars without buying extra stuff, initial set-up is cheaper, and I have used the dolly for other stuff too (rescued a friend stranded on the freeway with a leaking radiator and moved a car project - no tow truck fee).

But, they say flat towing is better...hmmmm
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In reference to the Video. They need to ditch the ramps and buy a set of Viking ramps like ACME uses. That is exactly the reason ACME does not use attached ramps.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought. A dolly tips the scales at what, About a kilopound (1,000 pounds).. Add that to the weight of the car.

If you have a DP. Ods are well into the 9's (99.99) percent you can tow it safely

With a Gasser.. Odds drop like a rock.. For example a 1992 Lumina APV is 4,000 pounds.

The combined Gross Vehicle Weight limit for this house on wheels is 26,000 pounds

The max GVW is 22,000, and the house is like 21880 (Call it 22,000)

That leaves me 200 for the dolly.. No way.

(I towed 4 down by the way)

Not all cars can be towed 4 down, EVEN with modifications. (The one I have now took about 2,000 in modifications including the tow bar base plate (500) but not including the tow bars themselves.

Went to the hitch store, told 'em I wanted a Blue Ox base plate.. Another customer said "Oh are they the best".. I replied I did not know if there was a Best (Several are too close to call) But Blue Ox was what I had for a tow bar, so it was the ONLY for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Acme EZE-Tow weighs 405lb.

The Demco Kar Kaddy SS (fanciest/heaviest one I know of) still only weighs 615lb.

The real numbers for us to watch when towing is the difference between GVWR and GCWR...assuming you aren't over-weight on the RV's wheels...that's how much you can safely tow.
See: Definitions and Terms | RV Safety.com

And, of course - don't exceed the weight rating of the receiver. Class III is only 5,000lb rated.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
tow dolly, dolly