Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tow guard protectors questions??

We just bought a new Honda CRV to tow behind our gas 30' class A. We are looking for the best protection for the toad when towing. I have read about the Protect a Tow Protect-a-Tow , and wonder if they protect the car from debris when making turns . We are also considering the Blue Ox Kargard to go on our Blue Ox tow bar but need to certain we can store it. Maybe using both products would give the best protection possible. I would like to know if anyone has had experiences with these products. Thanks, John
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jadtif...I have been using this: Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields to protect my toad. Custom made, fitted to match the vehicle, easy to install on the vehicle has cutouts for the tow bar and plugs and covers the entire front and windshield. Folds and has a storage pouch. Needs to be cleaned once in a while and this is done by leaving it on and washing it with a hose, then removing it to dry. Give it a look.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I have heard good things about the Coastline Cover, but I would never put it on a dirty car, and I don't want to wash my car every time I put a mask on. That's just me.

We have had the Protect-a-tow for our PT. We have towed 35K miles with it and it does its job very well. Our windshield does get dirty (very) in a rain or snowstorm. I keep a gallon of water and rinse the windshield off.

When we stop and unhook, we just roll up the Protect-a-Tow and attach it with bungees to the back of the MH. It takes no time at all to re-attach it to the car. Roll it out, attach the hooks to the two eyelets, run the bar across....done, in one minute.

You cannot turn sharp enough at speed to lose protection unless you do u turns at 60 mph

I would make the purchase again.

There are other types of skirts out there, check them out.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
If you have a Roadmaster tow system, the Tow Defender-----a blanket between the rig and the toad is fantastic. You can check it out on the Roadmaster web site. CW sells them
Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
paz

We have (had) a Protect-a-Tow. It does a reasonably good job keeping debris off the toad. We like it mostly because it folds up to a small size and is easy to store when we're stopped.

The main problem with it, at least for us, is that it only comes in one size. Because of height differences between the toad and motorhome, we must use a drop receiver. Therefore, our tow bar setup is about a foot longer resulting in a gap at both ends of the Protect-a-Tow.

The reason I say we have (had) a Protect-a-Tow is we remade the fabric portion using shade cloth, but we reused the old hardware. We made the new fabric longer and wider to eliminate gaps.

The second problem with the Protect-a-Tow is if you have a long overhang at the back of the coach and you ever drag your hitch going up a rise, it will rip a hole in the Protect-a-Tow. That's the main reason we remade the fabric portion in the first place - it had several rips.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote