Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Tow/haul button

Sorry for sounding dumb but I am new to motor homes and towing. I am thinking of towing my 05 Chevy Colorado 4x4 behind my 32 ft Class C. The MH has the Ford V10 and Allison transmission. My question is should I use the tow/haul mode that is activated with a button on the gear shifter? I know the tow mode will reduce fuel mileage but I would rather save my transmission if it is best.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The tow/haul button has nothing to do with being towed - your transmission is in neutral then and the button has no effect. Tow/haul mode is used when you are towing something with the truck or hauling an extra heavy load in the truck.

Edit: Duh! I think I missed the point of this question. The OP is asking whether to use tow/haul on the motorhome tranny, not the toad. Sorry...

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You should not have to use the tow/haul button unless you are in a position of working the motorhome hard (hills) or when you want the motor and transmission to assist you in braking. You should not have to use it just because you are towing. I believe it is the replacement to my OD button on my 2000 Winnebago 35u. It just drops the trans a gear to assist when working harder.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

First off, Ford does not use the Allison transmission. They use their own in house built torqshift 5 transmission. Just as bullet proof as the Allison. When using tow/haul mode, usually the shift points will be at a slightly higher RPM, 6th gear will be engaged at a higher speed, you will have increased engine braking, and shifts may appear to be slightly firmer. However, it is not needed for towing your truck. This chassis is already very happy and adding the truck to the equation is minimal. The adaptives in the PCM for shift strategy will already be adapted to the weight of the motorhome and will already be ready for anything you throw at it. In hills or heavy stop and go traffic, I would use Tow/haul mode but if driving down the highway, I would not be to concerned about it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Read the manual about using the Tow/Haul feature when going down long grades. It will help keep your brakes from overheating.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
Sorry for sounding dumb but I am new to motor homes and towing. I am thinking of towing my 05 Chevy Colorado 4x4 behind my 32 ft Class C. The MH has the Ford V10 and Allison transmission. My question is should I use the tow/haul mode that is activated with a button on the gear shifter? I know the tow mode will reduce fuel mileage but I would rather save my transmission if it is best.
gthunts,
This is not a dumb question. We all start somewhere. No one's born with all the answers, although some think they are. Anyway, as has been explained, the "Tow-Haul" mode alters the shifting points and, the duration each gear is used, based on just what the requirements are, at the present time of driving. It varies with each mile, grade, gas pedal and or, throttle position sensor, transmission back pressure sensor and more. It is designed and there, for EXACTLY what the two words say: TOW-HAUL.

They put it in there for a reason. The designers and engineers have reasons for what they make/suggest be applied to components on vehicles/transmissions. The tow-haul mode is installed in many different chassis and IS more effective in its use, on some than others. The primary reason for it's use is to allow the engine and trans to work together to be MOST effective and efficient for any given set of driving conditions in the heavier/towing set of circumstances.

In the normal, non-towing situations, it's normally not needed. The smart move for you would be to practice with it. Drive in a set of circumstances like, a grade or slope or hill or set of all of those without it and, then drive them with it in place. You will then feel, hear and see how the engine reacts and, how much throttle is needed or not needed as to the conditions without using it.

As for "Gas mileage", first of all, that term should not ever be applied to Motor homes. THERE IS NONE! If a person even thinks about buying and actually USING a motor home for travel and fun, instead of partying at a local stadium for a football game, then worrying about gas mileage is out of the equation. I don't mean to sound pessimistic here but, the true fact is, they don't get any gas mileage. You're going to get 6-8 mph, with our without the use of the Tow-Haul. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
First off, Ford does not use the Allison transmission. They use their own in house built torqshift 5 transmission. Just as bullet proof as the Allison. When using tow/haul mode, usually the shift points will be at a slightly higher RPM, 6th gear will be engaged at a higher speed, you will have increased engine braking, and shifts may appear to be slightly firmer. However, it is not needed for towing your truck. This chassis is already very happy and adding the truck to the equation is minimal. The adaptives in the PCM for shift strategy will already be adapted to the weight of the motorhome and will already be ready for anything you throw at it. In hills or heavy stop and go traffic, I would use Tow/haul mode but if driving down the highway, I would not be to concerned about it.

yes i found out the hard way ford is using allison 1000 2000 3000

https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...750_pdf/38.pdf

they are really hard to find but yes ford has all ways used allison its just rare

if no one can beleve me goolge it
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
yes i found out the hard way ford is using allison 1000 2000 3000

https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...750_pdf/38.pdf

they are really hard to find but yes ford has all ways used allison its just rare

if no one can beleve me goolge it

Yes but we are not talking about medium duty trucks here (AKA dump trucks large flat beds etc). This is a motorhome forum in the Ford Chassis group. Only the torqshift 5 (maybe the torqshift 6 coming soon) is used in the newer Ford motorhomes.

BTW, the Allison transmission is not rare in the medium truck segment. It is pretty much a manual transmission or an automatic that is an Allison.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #9

Actually I have to make a small correction, in the medium duty trucks, a torqshift 6 is an optional auto transmission, this is mated with the 6.8L 3V V10 engine.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the info. In response to the Allison trans question, I'm just going by what my vehicle literature says and it says the trans is a Allison?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. In response to the Allison trans question, I'm just going by what my vehicle literature says and it says the trans is a Allison?
What coach do you have? If it is a F53 chassis (Ford class A) with a V10, there is no Allison transmission option.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You should not have to use the tow/haul button unless you are in a position of working the motorhome hard (hills) or when you want the motor and transmission to assist you in braking. You should not have to use it just because you are towing. I believe it is the replacement to my OD button on my 2000 Winnebago 35u. It just drops the trans a gear to assist when working harder.
I posted this not long ago in the Ford chassis forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
OD off and Tow/Haul are not even remotely the same. There is a 5-star thread that shows the graphical shift patterns, but off the top of my head:

Shift schedule
Shift pressures
Speed thresholds
Torque converter lockup

All of those things, and more, change when using tow/haul. Its a drastic change to the shift logic. OD off simply locks out overdrive, that's it.
While it is oft repeated that Tow/Haul is the new version of "OD off", its not. Its a significant change in the overall shift strategy, and contrary to popular belief, does not lock out or disable OD at all.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

As for "Gas mileage", first of all, that term should not ever be applied to Motor homes. THERE IS NONE! If a person even thinks about buying and actually USING a motor home for travel and fun, instead of partying at a local stadium for a football game, then worrying about gas mileage is out of the equation. I don't mean to sound pessimistic here but, the true fact is, they don't get any gas mileage. You're going to get 6-8 mph, with our without the use of the Tow-Haul. Good luck.
Scott[/QUOTE]

FIRE UP

I was heading up to Lake Raystown in PA going over the back roads which lead me up and down the mountains to get there and I got 11.6 mph. I am running a Ford F550 Class C motorhome with a 6.7 diesel motor and a 6 speed transmission. I used the Tow-Haul while going up and over the mountains (30 mph posted limit going down) and it held the motorhome back with no brakes and I was surprised to get that mileage. On the other hand, I went to Tennessee and South Carolina and only got 10.2 mpg but I was rolling along at 70 +/- mph. Speed does make a big difference. I only have about 4,500 miles on it and figure after it breaks in, the mileage should increase some.

Steve
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
I posted this not long ago in the Ford chassis forum.

While it is oft repeated that Tow/Haul is the new version of "OD off", its not. Its a significant change in the overall shift strategy, and contrary to popular belief, does not lock out or disable OD at all.
Same story for the newer less common Chevy 2500 and 3500 class C chassis. According to the generic owners manual provided with my 2014 model, the Tow/Haul should be engaged when the vehicle is loaded as heavy as it would be as a MH. I can't imagine the powertrain would know the difference between being loaded to 90% of GVWR or the same physics effects from towing.

6th gear works just fine in Tow/Haul, but the entire strategy is altered. I can detect no change in MPG in my tests, but small % changes kind of fall off the scale when you are talking about tenths of a MPG change. I actually find it more pleasant in traffic situations because the automatic downshifts help take the stress out of braking.

I am also convinced, like the other posts, that experimenting will not hurt anything. Try it both ways for awhile and see which one works better.