Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Tow hitch receiver question

We decided to take the plunge and to start towing our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Had a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar installed. The distance in height between the RV receiver and the base plate attachment is approximately 3, closer to 4 inch diferrence. Should I be concerned? Do I need to get a drop receiver and what would I need to look out for if I do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a Jeep Cherokee, I would get it a little closer , maybe a 3 or 4 inch dropped Hitch.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As above, level that tow bar.

LEN
Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
We decided to take the plunge and to start towing our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Had a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar installed. The distance in height between the RV receiver and the base plate attachment is approximately 3, closer to 4 inch diferrence. Should I be concerned? Do I need to get a drop receiver and what would I need to look out for if I do?
3" or 4" is not catastrophic. The goal, is to get it CLOSE to level. Sometimes that's not always possible for various reasons. I've towed various vehicles with that much differential for years without issue(s). I've had hard braking situations a few times and there's NEVER been any sort of detrimental effects. It's your choice. If you want to go out and purchase a drop receiver to get closer to level, then by all means, get what you think is necessary. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get level. Else in a panic stop the toad can readily ride under or over the towbar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

Check out the owners manual on the tow bar. I think you will find that the maximum recommended offset is 2".
Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

From all what I've read and watched on YT, get it as level as possible. There are many reasons for this, but the one that means most to me is keeping as much binding off the tow bar as possible in multiple situations. Especially since we'll be hooking up and unhooking the toad as much as we will while traveling. There are also additional other benefits to a level hitch. If I were towing a vehicle to just get to one location and then dropping it off, I wouldn't be concerned. But doing all this—hooking up and unhooking—multiple times during the year, plus all the different situations and terrain traveling FT presents itself in assorted CG's, I want this tow bar as level as possible.

We're getting ready in the next couple of weeks to attach our Ford Fiesta to our MH and there's a 12" difference and they only make a—stock, off the shelf—10" drop hitch. We also will be carrying our 2 bicycles on top of the hitch with our dual bike carrier, so we need a double stacked hitch as well. So I'm going to talk to a fella this week about modifying a stock 10" hitch and adding an additional 2" drop and making sure that all components fit correctly and is supported sufficiently with that much drop. I want this hitch as level as possible to the toad.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 AM   #8

If you Google for 12" drop receiver, you should find several are available.
Such as TRIMAX 12" ALUMINUM DROP HITCH

If you decide to have yours modified, be sure to use a "certified" welder (for liability reasons).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Is your coach fully loaded for travel? If not take that into consideration before purchasing a drop receiver.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As long as the coach is higher rather than lower, 3-4" is nothing to worry about. There will be tow bar level specs with whatever tow bar you get, but generally within a few inches is fine and high is much less a concern than low. With the coach end low, you run the risk of the toad "climbing" the tow bar in a sudden stop, but that won't happen if the coach end is high.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Is your coach fully loaded for travel? If not take that into consideration before purchasing a drop receiver.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Don't understand the connection?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Most any Metal Fab shop can custom build you a hitch to meet you needs. Richard
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
If you Google for 12" drop receiver, you should find several are available.
Such as TRIMAX 12" ALUMINUM DROP HITCH

If you decide to have yours modified, be sure to use a "certified" welder (for liability reasons).
Yeah I saw that one, but you forgot that I need a double stacked hitch for our bike rack too. So that hitch won't work. Double hitch's in the size I need are very hard to find, believe me I've spent hours looking.

Update:
I think my problem is solved because I just got back from the installers shop and the actual base plate comes out higher in the front of the toad that first thought. So it looks like I'll only need a 8" or 10" drop hitch. So that's good and will be able to find that hitch no problem.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #14

Put brakes on the toad and it shouldn't be climbing under or over the tow bar.

Tags
tow