Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

tow hitch recommendations

Being new to a class A, we wonder what others feel is the best tow hitch for a 35,000lb MH towing a 4,600lb. tow vehicle, also is an additional brake system necessary? We have been looking at Blue Ox, as well as others. Thank you. Jerry and Phyllis
ja63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
ja63,

Recommend a 10K Reese hitch and 10K Blue Ox tow bar. You are too close to the 5K ratings of the less expensive model tow bars.

We tow a 3700 lb pickup, usually has a load in the bed of 500 lb or more. Our MH has a two stage jake brake and we have no problems stopping w/o a brake assist. However, we also have an extra set of brakes on the tag. That may make a difference if you don't have the tag.

Dave
Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Blue Ox has just increased the weight ratings of the Aladdin tow bars manufactured after 1/1/2011 to 7500 lbs (with a price increase to go with the new ratings). This is a great tow bar, and you would be very happy with it.
Here: Blue Ox Tow Bars

You definitely need some sort of auxiliary braking system for your toad. If you get into a panic stop situation, you may not be able to stop in time, and if a good lawyer gets ahold of you, he'll have a field day with the liability suit which may follow.

Most states require some sort of toad braking systems for anything over 1-2K pounds toad weight, depending on state. Google towing brake requirements and you will find lots of sites which list state requirements.

Most of the time your toad brakes don't need to actuate as your coach has enough energy to slow the combo down; but in a panic stop situation, you'll be glad you have toad brakes.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I use a Roadmaster sterling 6K rating towng a Jeep GC 4800#, M&G braking system which is a great system. I'm sure that there are others just as good, but this setup has served me well.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NC you need toad breaks 1,000 lbs or more. most states 3,000 lbs you must have toad breaks. States don't care what your rig will stop or not. You double plus the toad weight with and emergency stop.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

Thank you for the information, really appreciate everyone's help, can't wait to get set up and get going. Jerry/Phyllis
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

I use the 10K blue Ox and a Blue Ox supplemental braking system. I got the supplemental braking system because I had a Liberty Jeep come loose at the frame from the motorhome. I decided the brake away feature was necessary. I was lucky that I was barely moving in a constuction zone andthe only damage was to the front of the jeep. I think about the possible liability I might have had if I was going 70 MPH.
Whitofok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ja63,
The recommendations to go with a 10K tow bar are good recommendations. As to the toad auxiliary breaking system, go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html and read post 1. It is written by the professionals at SMI. The bottom line is for everyone's safety you need the auxiliary braking system for the toad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #9

Again, thank you to everyone. Has anyone had experience with ReadyBrake supplemental brake systems? I have been considering that one as well as others. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
There are several threads on here about the ready brake system. I know because when we bought our first RV in September, I did just what you're doing. Tried to learn everything I could. If you search, you'll find lots of info. There's also a current thread about this in this forum.

We decided to go with the ready break ready brute system which is the tow bar and brake. We also got the breakaway set-up from them. We've been very happy with it so far. My husband, son, and I installed it in a day on our Jeep Wrangler. Easy to install, easy to use, and invisible inside my Jeep unless you know where to look. There is a hook-up "loop" that sticks out through my front bumper, but it's not bad. Since my Jeep's a Wrangler my attitude is "Hey, it's a Jeep." and it doesn't bother me.
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Also check out the Demco brand tow bars.
Dominator Tow Bar

John
05 Country Coach Inspire
10 Ford Escape w/ M&G Brake Sys.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #12

Thank you, this is a lot of information to absorb, so I am taking my time and investigating all I can. Thank you. Jerry
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #13

I just ordered a Roadmaster Sterling, rated for 6K. I'll be pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I selected Roadmaster over Blue Ox due to what appears to be a more effective installation of the base plate. I bought them from HitchSource.com given they had the best prices I could find. I'll be buying SMI's Air Force One braking system.

I considered the 10K towbars, but assumed the manufacturers' rating were concervative and should be more than enough up to thier ratings. So, a 6K towbar should be just fine. BTW, the Sterling comes with safety cables and electrical cable, others may as well. The point being, when evaluating value don't overlook these items.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote