Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
If your toad comes off the dolly, damage to the suspension/steering parts are the least of your worries. The safety cable/chains are there for the same reason the are there on a trailer - keep it from running away down the road and doing damage!
Our dolly has trailer safety chains/hooks bolted to dolly tray. They get wrapped up around the lower a-frames and hooked to themselves. No access to wrap around frame. It requires kneeling and reaching, but works.
You could always get plates made to bolt onto your frame to hook to.

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1152 View Post
An "emergency" like when your baskets fail and the vehicle slides off the dolly? Aren't we talking about the same thing here?
Yes. It could work. You would surely want to put a soft cover on the chain to protect the lower bumper finish.

Didn't recommend the thru-wheel cables...because I didn't know what type rims the RAV-4 has. I don't believe they are sold pre-made, but would be an easy project.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
If your toad comes off the dolly, damage to the suspension/steering parts are the least of your worries. The safety cable/chains are there for the same reason the are there on a trailer - keep it from running away down the road and doing damage!
I would submit that is not the best way to use safety chains on a dolly. Our safety chains are set to keep the car ON the dolly.

Happened 1 time (totally operator error) when one side strap basket came loose.
While on the freeway, I noticed something did not look right in the rear view cam (car's front end was not perfectly centered like usual).

Gently stopped and found that the end hook had turned on the mount eyelet (old style EZE-Tow) and the strap basket had shifted, became loose, and allowed slack in the strap

The car had slipped back on that side of the dolly frame...but THANKFULLY the safety chain retained the car on that side.

This is, of course very different from when a trailer or dolly tongue hitch parts.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Yes, our safety chains keep the tires on the dolly, also. I had a basket come loose before and the safety chain kept the tie in its place.
My point is, they are there for SAFETY.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Blue Ox base plate came with extension cables for the safety chains to connect to the MH frame in case the base plate breaks away from the frame as has been posted a few times here in the past few years.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #20

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the input guys! Before I commit I want to take a look at a twist on the thru-the-wheel concept only using chain inside a plastic tube anchored with "d" rings and grade 8 bolts ... That gives me two ways to go with no more crawling under the car ... Have fun!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #21

I started with chain but the covering was bulky. I then just used the chains thru my old wheels.

The new wheels got the cables.

Tags
toad, tow