Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Tow lights on a Jeep Wrangler?

Purchased a new Jeep, JL as a tow vehicle. Have towed
2 Liberty previous. As I dont want to tap into the LED
brake lights. I am looking into attaching 2 LED light to
the vehicle. Maybe to the bottom of the bumper !!!
I am looking for ideals, anyone ??????

DO not want to use the magnet based lights.

Thanks for any input! ....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #2

I fabricated a light bar that plugs in the trailer hitch receiver on my last Jeep. No need to tap into the vehicle wiring at all. Just ran the power from the tow bar connector under the Jeep and added a quick connect plug for the light bar.
Started with a Demco spare tire mount system like this, but then made my own for a lot less money: https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ies/light-bar3
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You might look at the Cool Tech harness that's supposed to totally isolate the taillights from the canbus circuits.
https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rness-kit.html

I installed a Mopar harness in my JK, and I found a possible part number for the JL: Mopar Part #82215382

My thought on using the Mopar was that since it's OEM it would not void any kind of warranty.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

Hopkins makes one as well available through etrailer. I just installed it on my JK and it works great.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

I sure don't know why some have a hard time "tapping" into the factory wiring. I and many, many others on here and other RV forums that have pulled multiple types of toads, have done just that for decades and, as of yet, have had ZERO toads, go up in flames simply because we tapped into the factory wiring. Now, for the most part, it's was easier when the CAN-BUSS and Multiplex wiring wasn't involved. Standard bulbs and wiring is easy stuff to "tap" into without cause and effect issues.
But, get into the later type of wiring and bulbs, that's a different story. We have a '15 Jeep JKUR and used the Hopkins wiring harness which, is seriously cheaper than the Mopar unit and, also, seriously easier to install and, IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY.

But, we have one issue that a few others may have on their Jeep toads too. And that is, we haul two bicycles back there behind the Jeep. And, those two bike sets of wheels and tires, do a pretty good job hiding the Jeeps tail lights. NOT GOOD. So, I'm thinking I might just step outside the box here, (done that a few zillion times anyways) and look into installing a couple of what you see in the link below. They are slim, LED stop/turn/tail lights. I'm thinking I might just put them on the sides of the hard top, in a vertical fashion.

That way, they'd be above the wheels and tires of the bicycles and be completely visible to folks following me while I'm towing. I'm trying to think of a tactful way of doing it so it still looks somewhat decent.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Seale...gateway&sr=8-5

For those of you that "worry" about tying into the factory wiring, this would be a good solution. All you'd do is mount them, the wires would come out, INSIDE the hard top, then down into the top side of the rear fenders, join up on the drivers side under the rear section of the body and then run, inside the frame all the way to the front of the Jeep. Then, add a plug for towing, DONE! Just and idea.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The cool tech is what I went with. It is tapping into the wiring though. It’s done at the passenger door rocker panel. You pop up the plastic there and make the connections. Then run the wires to connect the the coach.
CLP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:34 AM   #7

Tapping into the existing wire is the way to go, you eliminate more wire that you don't need that could work against you. Love those 15 inch lights that "Fire Up" mentioned. So many drivers forget what the drivers behind them can't see. Fortunately the RV industry could be seeing the light. Hard to see anything attached to the bottom of a bumper, but better than no light at all. So many out there that don't know where the light switch is.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

OK, some good food for thought! I have not used the diodes set up
for yrs. I may look into that option. Then again we do carry the bikes.
Dont like to add something permanent to body of Jeep. I do like maybe
to velcro the long thin LED to to back of hard top or to the glass even.
And keep them as a stand alone lights.....I think that could be us!
Thanks for the input.....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcolt View Post
OK, some good food for thought! I have not used the diodes set up
for yrs. I may look into that option. Then again we do carry the bikes.
Dont like to add something permanent to body of Jeep. I do like maybe
to velcro the long thin LED to to back of hard top or to the glass even.
And keep them as a stand alone lights.....I think that could be us!
Thanks for the input.....coopcolt

That was/is my plan, to keep them permanently mounted. I'm not to keen on your thoughts of velcro for installation though. Some air-head could walk up and take a look at them and see they're not permanent and ZAP, they're gone. As stated earlier, if they were installed with a bit of tact, they could look decent enough that there would be no real detraction of quality of looks of the original design of the hard top etc.

Using diodes is just fine. But, these are different times with newer and smarter vehicles. And, that coupled with potentially blocking of the toads tail lights due to hauling bicycles etc, it's time to step outside the box.
Scott
Old 03-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #10

Fireup - I like your idea. For multiple reasons I also want a stand alone system. I have a 2019 JL Wrangler on order and have been searching for add on lights since it appears you cannot add a bulb to even the standard jeep lights.

I would appreciate it if anyone completes such a project on a Wrangler they post up some pictures and report on any issues/tips to help out those still in the planning stages.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
Fireup - I like your idea. For multiple reasons I also want a stand alone system. I have a 2019 JL Wrangler on order and have been searching for add on lights since it appears you cannot add a bulb to even the standard jeep lights.

I would appreciate it if anyone completes such a project on a Wrangler they post up some pictures and report on any issues/tips to help out those still in the planning stages.
Hey Nutmeg,
Am presently working on the Jeep installing a 2 meter HAM ICOM radio right now. But, I'm getting real close to purchasing the lights I mentioned above and installing them as I projected. The DW is on board with it only, she'd like a bit smaller lights than what I linked. Gotta make the DW happy so, I might have to revise my plan, at least just a little.
Scott

Tags
light, lights, tow