Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #15

Remove the rear advertising sign hanging under your coach. Make sure you have good wide flaps behind each coach tire and go. If you must, try the protect-a-tow.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't been towing long, but I have noticed that the MH kicks up a lot of mud and muc. The Toad does require a little cleaning when I get to where I'm going.
Now for all of you that drive Naked, that's just Nasty

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I worried this thing to death and finally decided that my CR-V behind my MH with a mudflap 4" off the ground as recommended is no more exposed to road debris than it would be driving along the highway behind cars, trucks etc. After 40k towing I have some rock chips which require actually looking for them, but who doesn't from normal driving? This of course is my opinion only substantiated by my very unscientific observation of my vehicle.

I prefer going "naked" and saving the set up time and expense of what ever permeation of rock guard is in vogue this week,
I'm in that camp.

I remember when I first got my last toad in 2006. It was a brand new Suzuki Grand Vitara. I bought one of those Blue Ox KarGard shields and used it religiously - for about six months before I got sick of dealing with the thing. It was a pain to install each time, and a pain to store when I wasn't using it. So after that, we just made it a ritual to go find a car wash each time we arrived at our destination.

I already had a full width mud flap, so I added a good looking rock/bug shield on the front of the Suzuki hood, and a pair of those transparent 3M stick-on shields over my head light lenses. Then I went naked from there. (Kind of like riding a motorcycle with just a half-helmet and a pair of goggles, I guess. )

I just sold that toad this year and it did have a couple of small paint chips, but after dragging it around behind the motorhome for over seven years, I think it still looked good. The picture below was taken last month before it sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suz_front.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	64225  
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I haven't been towing long, but I have noticed that the MH kicks up a lot of mud and muc. The Toad does require a little cleaning when I get to where I'm going.
Now for all of you that drive Naked, that's just Nasty
it's true. before i obtained a roadmaster guardian, whenever coming back from a highway trip, there has always been some dirts/chips/rocklets normally smaller than 1/16" size sticking to lower and upper front bumper, i had to wash/rinse/mop them out. although not too bad it's still noticeable if you close up.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #19

We went the other route. We have a custom padded cover for our 2014 Subaru Forester. It came from California Custom Covers, cost about $400, and has a lifetime warrantee. With about 2500 miles on it, (CA to MD, mostly I-40/70) there are some serious marks on the cover but none on the car. It covers from below the Blue Ox pins to over the windshield. Takes about 10 minutes to install and packs away in its own bag. If you need to move the toad, the windshield portion folds down and snaps flat. I like it, but YMMV. BTW, this is what its recommended for the Al-Can highway.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
We went the other route. We have a custom padded cover for our 2014 Subaru Forester. It came from California Custom Covers, cost about $400, and has a lifetime warrantee. With about 2500 miles on it, (CA to MD, mostly I-40/70) there are some serious marks on the cover but none on the car. It covers from below the Blue Ox pins to over the windshield. Takes about 10 minutes to install and packs away in its own bag. If you need to move the toad, the windshield portion folds down and snaps flat. I like it, but YMMV. BTW, this is what its recommended for the Al-Can highway.

We are looking for something similar for our Subaru Forester. I searched web, but found no picture of such a cover. Would you supply either pictures or model number from CCC?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I too believe in the Protect-A-Tow. It is easy to use and does a great job. Unfortunately, since I traded coaches my Protect-A-Tow will no longer work because of the location of the exhaust pipe in my new coach. I have been towing naked, and get some small front bumper chips, which are only noticed when I wash the car.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #22

Have been towing for years without guards and have never had a problem. I feel like some of the other posters, in that you will probably get more chips from normal driving. Just got a new 2014 Wrangler and getting it ready to tow. The Liberty is my DW's car.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #23

I need to correct the supplier of our Toad Shield, its California Manufacturing Co., of Rancho Cucamonga, CA. This should be a picture of the our toad, a Red 2014 Forester. (can't figure out how to put pictures up yet :-(
Tow Car Shield they also make padded sock covers for the mirrors and bra covers for RVs. (no affiliation with them, just a happy customer)