Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Tow Protection

Just new at this toad towing,I will be towing a 2014 jeep cherokee latitiude behind a 2003 monaco camelot 40tbs coach and my question is will the monaco mudgard pretty much protect my tow vehicle from rocks going down the road,I will be using the blue ox aventa tow bar, and really don't want to spend $400 for the kargard.

Thanks
Alex

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorman View Post
Just new at this toad towing,I will be towing a 2014 jeep cherokee latitiude behind a 2003 monaco camelot 40tbs coach and my question is will the monaco mudgard pretty much protect my tow vehicle from rocks going down the road,I will be using the blue ox aventa tow bar, and really don't want to spend $400 for the kargard.

Thanks
Alex
Most of the rocks fly up off the MH Mudflap if it is too low to ground. Going over uneven spots like bridges etc will cause the flap to drag and kick up small stones. You flap should be a Minimum of 4-6" off the ground at traveling height.
I use the BlueOx Karguard but even with that I have some rock chips.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I worried this thing to death and finally decided that my CR-V behind my MH with a mudflap 4" off the ground as recommended is no more exposed to road debris than it would be driving along the highway behind cars, trucks etc. After 40k towing I have some rock chips which require actually looking for them, but who doesn't from normal driving? This of course is my opinion only substantiated by my very unscientific observation of my vehicle.

I prefer going "naked" and saving the set up time and expense of what ever permeation of rock guard is in vogue this week,
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Roadmaster Guardian shield for my Element. Fits perfectly, takes seconds to mount and based on the coverage it is UN-possible for a rock thrown from my MH to hit my toad.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I have the Roadmaster Guardian shield for my Element. Fits perfectly, takes seconds to mount and based on the coverage it is UN-possible for a rock thrown from my MH to hit my toad.
I use the same device, different name. Only reason I use it is to keep the Big Chunks from hitting the car. I hit a Gator on the Interstate south of Salt Lake a few years back. Put a big crack in the shield but saved the toad. So now I'm a believer. Don't leave home without it.
What ever works best for you I guess.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

I haven't used any tow protection and don't have any noticeable chips. Unless your driving down gravel roads you'll be just fine. Honestly have more to worry about parking your toad in parking lots, that's where mine has gotten the most damage(door dings). good luck, don't sweat it.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorman View Post

Thanks
Alex
This works for me Protect-a-Tow
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

X2+ on Protect-a-Tow. No damage and no rocks on toad. Just do it!
Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

X3 - Protect-A-Tow works great.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hello everyone,

I must be the most neurotic person on this forum as I have the Roadmaster Guardian and the Roadmaster tow defender. I only have a few hundred miles on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee so not much to report. I will report on this when I have more miles. Wife and I will be starting fulltiming by the end of this week so we will be putting on plenty of miles.

All in all the setup is very quick and simple. Everything gets stowed on the back of the coach when not on the car.

Stuart
Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pulled same Jeep 4193 miles already - naked - no problems with chips

However my 5 year old break budddy fried and now getting air force one installed
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We tow naked also, and have not seen anymore chips than what is gotten in the normal course of driving the toad.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
I only use an Ultraguard flap on the RV. I would not say it is 4" off the ground, but after more than 40k miles, no rock chips. I don't do a lot of gravel roads either. I do some, just not that many compared to my regular driving. I have driven several miles on gravel, to get to camps, etc., but generally drive as slow as allowed. Frankly, I worry about many other things far more than rock damage on the toad, but my thoughts may change if I go up to AK or something.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
We use the same system for our Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately it doesn't stop rocks being thrown by trucks going in the opposite direction. We have a nice star on the drivers side of the windshield from a truck speeding in the opposite direction trying to make the ferry in Dawson Canada.