Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Tow speed of Chevy Equinox

I have a 2013 equinox all set up for towing.
GM says 65 mph max speed when towing.

Anybody going more than 65? Seems like there might be a few mph cushion?
I would like to tow at 67 mph since that is where my rv is happy

Any experience anywhere?

Thanks

Tom Volk
2013 anthem deq
2013 equinox
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
paz

I normally drive 62-64 mph, but I occasionally hit speeds up to 70 going downhill. However, I only exceed 65 for brief periods. I did the same for our previous Saturn Vue that had the same limit with no adverse effects in 95k miles of driving and 60k miles of towing.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
I would like to tow at 67 mph
Your 65 mph max rated ST trailer tires won't like it for long, especially when the weather warms up a little.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
I have a 2013 equinox all set up for towing. GM says 65 mph max speed when towing. Anybody going more than 65? Seems like there might be a few mph cushion? I would like to tow at 67 mph since that is where my rv is happy Any experience anywhere? Thanks Tom Volk 2013 anthem deq 2013 equinox
I assume you are towing 4 wheels down. I tow a 2011 Equinox. The tires are fine at any speed, I think it's more of a transmission issue from GM's view. On occasion I have been above 65 mph but not for any length of time, I don' think a couple mph would make much difference. When ever you stop for fuel just make sure you idle the car to circulate the trans fluid.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
I assume you are towing 4 wheels down. I tow a 2011 Equinox. The tires are fine at any speed, I think it's more of a transmission issue from GM's view. On occasion I have been above 65 mph but not for any length of time, I don' think a couple mph would make much difference. When ever you stop for fuel just make sure you idle the car to circulate the trans fluid.
If you exceed 65 MPH consistently your transmission bearings will not have enough lubrication and damage will gradually occur. As the previous poster said, short term downhill runs at slightly higher speeds shouldn't be a problem. You will probably get away with 67, but keep in mind that GM knows what to look for and they won't cover you if you damage the car from the excessive speed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Your 65 mph max rated ST trailer tires won't like it for long, especially when the weather warms up a little.

Bruce
Bruce, when the OP says "when towing" he really means "being towed". Two different things...as he is using the Equinox (Chevy SUV) behind his motor home. No TT involved at all.

OP, I have the Terrain which is a half sister to your Equinox with the exact same drive train and, of course, same limitations. We typically drive between 60 and 65 and have on numerous occasions gone over 65, but only for short period of times. However, running at a sustained speed over the limitation may not be a problem...but why take the chance?

If I were you, I would just slow down a couple miles per hour... you won't know the difference and neither will your motor home.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure GM put the 65 mph limit for a reason (maybe for trans. bearings or bands or lubrication issues, or maybe the engineer is playing it safe) and exceeding it by 2 mph probably won't hurt anything, but why take the chance. Those 2 mph will only equate to 10 to 20 miles a day, to me that's not worth losing a tranny over...JMHO...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy