Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

tow systems

I am getting ready to purchase either a Blue Ox or Roadmaster towing system to couple my 2003 Chevy Tracker to my 2008 Bounder 35E. I have had two installers tell me the Roadmaster is "junk", but I find that hard to believe. The base plates on the Roadmaster system seem much easier to install on the Tracker than the Blue Ox, which requires taking most of the front end off. Anyone have comments on either of these two systems?

Lynn Miller

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Both Roadmaster and Blue Ox are good products. We bought a Blue Ox baseplate, but the Roadmaster would have worked just as well.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The Roadmaster baseplate is easier to install, but I notice it doen't have a connection between the two frame rails like the Blue Ox baseplate has. I imagine the RM has been adequately designed, but the Blue Ox looks heftier, if a little harder to install. I've had a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and I like the ease to hook up and stow, plenty strong for towing my Beetle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The Roadmaster baseplate is easier to install, but I notice it doen't have a connection between the two frame rails like the Blue Ox baseplate has. I imagine the RM has been adequately designed, but the Blue Ox looks heftier, if a little harder to install. I've had a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and I like the ease to hook up and stow, plenty strong for towing my Beetle.
the connection between the frame rails comes off when not in use. I towed a tracker for 4 years with the roadmaster falcon tow bar. worked great never a problem. I miss my tracker.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you consider the Ready Brute and the Demco base plates from Tow Bars Unlimited, I have the Ready Brute w/ Ready Brake and it's been great so far. I have the Roadmaster base plates since that's the way I thought I was going but changed my mine after looking into the Ready Brute further. Good luck with whatever you choose.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Love my roadmaster and ready brake. I think all systems have merit so its whatever works in your mind :0)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #7

Have had good luck with Roadmaster baseplate and Ready Brute bar and brake on 2008 Saturn Vue.
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have seen posts and pictures of BlueOx towbars that broke and I've never seen or heard of a RoadMaster doing that.
But both are will known and will do the job.
We went with RoadMaster because they were less than 20 miles from home, now they've moved to WA and are even closer.
Have the older Sterling and the 9000 series brake unit. Towed the '97 Jeep GC with it and had planned to tow the '05 Odyssey with it till Honda quit allowing it to be towed four down. NO, I'm not going to sell it! I'll keep it till we buy a new four down towable car, probably a CR-V.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

Tow system help

Thanks for all of the info on towing systems.

Lynn Miller
2008 Bounder 35E
2003 Tracker
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I have used the RoadMaster for several years, and have never had a problem. Works great!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The horizontal stabilizer on a Roadmaster is external (in most cases) and removed when not towing. Blue Ox uses a horizontal stiffener as part of the base plates.

We towed both a 2000 and a 2003 Tracker for over 50k miles using a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar and base plates with no problems at all. The Tracker badly needs that extra horizontal stabilizer, though, since the front end inherently lacks stiffness. You will notice that the SUV itself has cross bars under the hood, across the engine compartment, to help stiffen it. Conceivably the internal horizontal stiffener of the Blue Ox might even improve the vehicle handling a bit when not towing!

When we switched from our Trackers to a GMC Acadia, we also changed to the Blue Ox tow bar system. We like that a bit better than the Roadmaster.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I was surprised at the simplicity of the Roadmaster base plate, I was going to comment on the few number of bolts. The bolt thing wasn't an issue once I thought about the other points of the tow system that relies on one or two 'pins' to hold everything together. Then I noticed the Roadmaster tow bar has the connecting bar AFTER you connect to the toad, on the bars themselves. You can get adaptor arms to use a Roadmaster on a Blue Ox BP, but I don't think I'd want to use a Blue Ox TB on a Roadmaster BP setup.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The horizontal stabilizer on a Roadmaster is external (in most cases) and removed when not towing. Blue Ox uses a horizontal stiffener as part of the base plates.

We towed both a 2000 and a 2003 Tracker for over 50k miles using a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar and base plates with no problems at all. The Tracker badly needs that extra horizontal stabilizer, though, since the front end inherently lacks stiffness. You will notice that the SUV itself has cross bars under the hood, across the engine compartment, to help stiffen it. Conceivably the internal horizontal stiffener of the Blue Ox might even improve the vehicle handling a bit when not towing!

When we switched from our Trackers to a GMC Acadia, we also changed to the Blue Ox tow bar system. We like that a bit better than the Roadmaster.
You brought out a great point about the stiffer Blue Ox base plate; may be worth the extra effort of installing it.
Thanks,
Lynn Miller
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #14

Looked at both tow systems. Decided to go with the
Blue Ox system. Justed liked the install on the Jeep Grand Cherokee and yes they had to take the front bumper off for the install. Seems to be good system for me. Best of luck with whichever you choose.