Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Tow Veh. Lights

OK, I've tried now I need help!
How do I wire up the tail, brake and turn signals on my towed vehicle to work off the plug on my motor home?
I wired a trailer wiring harness into toad and ran to the front so I could plug it into the motor home. If I test the plug harness with a test light it is wired right but nothing works when I plug it into the motor home.
Will it not feed that direction?
Jhutch4044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Did you use a wiring kit with diodes? What year & model of you towed vehicle? Maybe someone who has the same towed vehicle can help you.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

You'll need a wiring/conversion kit for your car. Although it seems like it should be pretty simple, it is not. It took my Rv dealer about 3 hours to wire my GMC Terrain WITH the proper kit. I think they even had to contact the GMC dealer to get a few questions answered. Not sure it wouldn't be best to involve an experienced RV shop to do this for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #4

Veh Lights

Motor Home - Newmar
Toad Vehicle - Jeep YJ
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jhutch4044, welcome to the forum. I have the professional who puts on my tow brackets do the wiring. It's simpler that way and he has years of experience that I don't have.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
add seperate bulbs inside the lens, no diodes, no risk to toad.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger97 View Post
add seperate bulbs inside the lens, no diodes, no risk to toad.
That is what the dealer I talked to today to get pricing on setting my F150 up, add separate bulbs. No recourse from manufacturer in case of electrical problems with towed.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Motor Home - Newmar
Toad Vehicle - Jeep YJ

Magnetic lights
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
You'll need a wiring/conversion kit for your car. Although it seems like it should be pretty simple, it is not. It took my Rv dealer about 3 hours to wire my GMC Terrain WITH the proper kit. I think they even had to contact the GMC dealer to get a few questions answered. Not sure it wouldn't be best to involve an experienced RV shop to do this for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
You gotta be kidding me. It took me all of 1/2 hour to do my Terrain...very simple with diodes. I can't imagine taking 3 hours...

To the OP... have you checked your mh's electrical plug to insure that it is working and wired correctly? Do you have diodes install at the toad's tail lights? Are you sure you are connected to the proper wires on the tail lights?

If the signal is at the MH plug and you're wired correctly and if you have diodes to prevent back feeding into the toad's electrical system, it should work.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #10

No, I don't have diodes.
Where do they go?
Where do I get they?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
If you don't want to buy the complete kit, you can get the diodes at Radio Shack. They are about 1" square and about 1/4" thick with two inputs and one output. Don't know how much they cost, but couldn't be much. You'll need four of them.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
You can check in at ETrailer and they have both kits for wiring a toad. The one with diodes and the one with the extra bulbs that you fit into the rear brake light housing. I used their extra bulb set-up on my CRV toad.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #13

JHUTCH4044,

So, you are using stand alone magnetic lights. Then it should be easy enough to trouble shoot. Turn on the parking lights and check for voltage on the RV between the running lights pin and the ground pin on the same connector. Check for resistance on the magnetic lights between the ground and running light pins on the connector that mates up with the RV connector. One of these measurements should fail. Once you know which one failed, you know where to look for the problem.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As ImagineIF says, it should be easy to troubleshoot in your case. I've done it many times. In one case I went to pick up our new TT and the salesman went to get a tech to do the wiring, by the time he got back I was wrapping everything up. He offered me a job on the spot. Don't think he was serious though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights