Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #1

Tow vehicle

Well, we just bought a 2016 class c. We're having an issue with figuring out what we can tow. Both of our vehicles are 4 wheel drive. The manufacturer sTates they cannot be towed 4 down/flat. We can't put them on a trailer because of weight.

Are there certain vehicles that cannot be towed?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

It can be very confusing to figure out if a vehicle can be towed 4 down. There are many 4 wheel drive vehicles that can be towed, but they generally must have a transfer case that can be shifted into neutral. Many manufacturers of towing equipment have good lists of vehicles that can be towed.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Motorhome Magazine provides a list each year of vehicles suitable for towing:

http://towingworld.com/resources/2015DinghyGuide.pdf

Don't take the word of a dealership about a vehicle's suitability, make sure the Owner's manual states it can be towed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

There are more vehicles that can NOT be towed 4 down then there are that can

Good place to start is looking in vehicles owners manual under TOWING
Usually lists how vehicle can be towed

Another place is REMCO website. Look up your vehicle and see recommendation
Remco : The Towing Experts
Old 01-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could you share with us what vehicles you have?

Perhaps someone on here with the same vehicle would know.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

It is certainly confusing at first. Here is a list of dinghy towing guides covering model years 2015 to 2000. The 2015 will be the same list that BFlinn181 posted above. If your vehicle is older than 2000, I would look in the owner's manual under towing.

As mentioned above, there are more vehicles that cannot be towed than ones that can. It is your responsibility to determine this. I had a Mini dealer tell me last year that a new Mini Clubman could be flat towed. It was not on the approved dinghy towing list (no Minis were for 2015), and the manual said no to flat towing. The service manager said there would be no problem, and that they'd look after me if anything happened. When I asked him to put that in writing, he refused.

In the end, we ended up selling a brand new Audi TT Roadster we'd had for 2 months and buying a Jeep Wrangler. I didn't want to haul around a flatbed trailer, and couldn't tow the TT on a dolly. And I really didn't want the hassle of a dolly, either.

There are those who flat tow vehicles that are not on the approved dinghy towing list for their model year and have had no problems. For me, I did not want to take any chances and risk a potentially expensive transmission/engine repair. My favorite story is the dog who was left in the toad and pushed the transmission from neutral into gear while it was being towed. The net result was transmission parts that are normally internal found all over the inside of the engine compartment.

Let us know what vehicles you have.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

We have 2014 pathfinder and a 2007 f150, both r 4x4
Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the Remco site:
Quote:
2014 Nissan Pathfinder ALL 4WD V6 3.5L cyl CVT Transmission JF017E

Notes
  • Must be towed using a trailer
Quote:
2007 Ford F-150 ALL 4WD V8 4.6L cyl 4-Speed Automatic 4R70W/4R75W

Notes

• Vehicle's with a Manual Shift transfer case can be flat towed. Electronic Shift-On-the Fly 4WD transfer cases cannot be flat towed without a Drive Shaft Coupling. For vehicles with Manual transfer case, shift transmission into NEUTRAL and shift manual transfer case into NEUTRAL before flat towing.
  • The center disconnect must be locked out by capping off one of the front-axle vacuum motor lines for the Manual Transfer Case vehicles. See dealer for assistance.
Quote:
2007 Ford F-150 ALL 4WD V8 5.4L cyl 4-Speed Automatic 4R70W/4R75W

Notes

• Vehicle's with a Manual Shift transfer case can be flat towed. Electronic Shift-On-the Fly 4WD transfer cases cannot be flat towed without a Drive Shaft Coupling. For vehicles with Manual transfer case, shift transmission into NEUTRAL and shift manual transfer case into NEUTRAL before flat towing.
  • The center disconnect must be locked out by capping off one of the front-axle vacuum motor lines for the Manual Transfer Case vehicles. See dealer for assistance.
Looks like neither of yours can be towed four down. If you have the Shift On the Fly in the F150 you will need a driveline disconnect.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...ind-an-rv.html
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #9

I flat tow a 1991 Honda Accord automatic. Shift it through the gears (1, 2, D3, D4, N), leave it in neutral, leave key in accessory position, hand brake OFF, and away I go. It is advised to not exceed 55 mph and give it another shift sequence every couple hundred miles.

Tags
tow