Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow Vehicle for a Handicapped

Any Ideas which vehicle would tow 4 down for a person that is handicapped?
Not in a wheel chair but with mobility issues.
JEEP just does not work as it is too difficult to get in and out of.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2

We tow a '05 Honda Pilot four-down.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Any Ideas which vehicle would tow 4 down for a person that is handicapped?
Not in a wheel chair but with mobility issues.
JEEP just does not work as it is too difficult to get in and out of.
Thanks
My son drives a Honda Pilot. His left leg was amputated.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

I agree, Pilots are easy to get in and out of; that's why we tow ours, I have knee problems. However, not all years are approved for four-down towing. Not positive, but I think '05 may have been the last year for Honda's endorsement for four-down towing of the Pilots. We've had no problems from towing ours.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have mobility and movement issues. When ever we shop for a new vehicle the very first thing Thom makes sure of is whether I can get in and out of it without any problems. Dealers want to start talking about all the stuff on the car and Thom tells them "Don't bother just see if she can get in and out first and THEN we can talk the rest". And that would be my advice, go to the dealers and just get in and out. If you still drive (I don't) then make sure you try out both driver and passenger sides.

We had a PT Cruiser but since it was automatic it could not be flat towed. We now have a 2013 Fiat Abarth that we have almost everything now to set up for flat towing. We will get it all on and hooked up after the play that Thom is in finishes, lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #6

Actually I would say ford flex followed by crv. The reason being is that they are at the right height. The flex seat is at hip level for many people so its not sports car low or higher up like an explorer, highlander or pilot. The other thing is these cars have a recessed will, meaning you can get closer to the seat, this can put your pivot point an inch or two closer to the seat bottom when you get in. The flex can also be set via the right side menu on the wheel (you will know what I mean when you sit in a 2013 and up) to automatically slide the seat back every time you turn off the CSR, when you insert the key on an SEL or press start the seat moves forward automatically to your driving position. Most flexes also have remote start so it'll be warm or air conditioned when you get it, it also has an unbelievable amount of rear legroom compared to any in the class. I had the 09 Chevy and was prepared to get an explorer until I tried the flex. It is ugly as sin outside. Oh and it has a limo smooth ride and handles better then my Chevy version did. Try it and see.

Two other things go just thought of, actually three. Big door pulls that have large openings, easy to close from inside, wide opening doors if you have a rollator/walker or if you need a helper. For those 6 ft tall, this also helps with grand kids or kids. Oh and yes you can wear a top hat inside.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

I believe nearly any rear wheel drive vehicle, including SUVs and pickups, can be fitted with a Remco type driveline so they can be towed flat. I looked into that before we bought our fifth wheel since we were thinking about the need for a toad if we ended up with a MH. I have a hip replaced, bum knee, old body and my remaining "good" hip is wearing out so I understand about limited mobility. I am able to negotiate getting in and out of our TV OK.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My issue is my knees don't bend like they are supposed to after two ACL reconstructions one in each knee, and then the right knee being replaced. They just don't bend.

My 2007 Saturn I could turn to get out of the car and i would be 3/4 of the way up already. Now my 2013 Lincoln MKX does the same for me. Both were easy in, easy out. Best to just go around looking at the vehicles and trying them out.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, handicapped