Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Tow vehicle question

I'm considering getting a toad for our rv. I've seen a lot of jeeps being towed and figured I could also use that when I go fishing. For those of you that have Jeeps and or other vehicles, what are your likes and dislikes about your toad?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2

toad

We tow an 08 Dodge Dakota crew cab 4x4. I was looking at a jeep wrangler for a toad, but the front seat would not go far enough back for me. Then I started taking an inflatable boat with us, and I needed the pickup to have enough room to carry the boat, outboard motor, and gas tank without smelling up the car. This setup works great for us as we have our two bicycles on the back of the truck, and are with us all the time. Doesn't work for everybody, but works great for us. Steve

steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

Steved44

I gather your Dakota is manual trans, or did you have the tranny pump set up?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Remco lists what is needed to tow four down and other information.

I've towed a Suzuki XL, a Miata and currently a Lexus RX300. I like the fact that no modifications had to be done to tow 4 down with them.

I use a U.S. Gear braking system which means everything is built in and hidden. Nothing to connect.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

dakota

It's an automatic 4x4. You can put the transfer case in neutral, to tow it. You do have to put the key in the ignition and unlock the steering wheel, and I put a kill switch on the battery so it won't run down while towing, but it's been fine for the last 20,000 miles or so. The best one we had was a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer (no locking steering wheel), but I couldn't put the boat and outboard in the back. I had to put the outboard on a receiver hitch carrier and it looked like I was hauling a body on the back. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lotta good things about towing a Jeep Wrangler (what most people think when they say "jeep.")

Mine is a 4 door, auto trams, with the simplest 4wd mechanism that is a simple handle to the left of the transmission shifter. To tow, you pull that handle to take it out of 2wd, sliding the transfer case into neutral. Then, per instruction manual, you shift the regular transmission into drive and verify that there is no movement (ie that the transfer case is, indeed, in neutral). I also shift to reverse because I'm anal retentive, but ultimately you put it back into PARK to tow. Sounds strange to leave it in Park, but I read somewhere that it keeps the trannie from moving without proper lubrication.

In my Jeep, as I believe most years, you don't need a key in the ignition and the front wheels will still turn freely--requirement for 4down towing.

Another nice feature is that Wranglers are still built "old school" in many ways. Sure, they have some electronics in them, but not nearly to the extent of most modern vehicles. This means less stuff to interfere with the whole towing operation. Wiring the brake and turn signal lights, for example, is a snap.,,you can buy a wiring harness from CoolTech that is literally plug n play (plus routing the wire). It involves no special fuses or anything, and it works great.

So I think the ease in towing Jeep Wranglers is that the things are simple enough to make it easy to tow, but still fun enough to drive around when you get there. They aren't terribly expensive either, which is nice for those of us who would rather sink their money into the RV. :-)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

PappaBobby,
As you will see, there are many "approved for flat towing" toads out there to choose from. The one that will work for you may or may not work for many other folks. You can approach this issue in different ways. You can choose a toad, then see if it's flat towable or, you can go through the list, "The Dinghy Towing Guide" for the model year(s) you're thinking about. Either way will work.

And, another factor in the decision process is, will this be a daily driver? Having owned seven different Jeep Wranglers of many years, I can tell you they suck as far as gas mileage and ride are concerned. And that includes either bone stock or, modified to any extreme. But, they are extremely versital in many aspects. They basically indestructible, can go just about anywhere, are great for exploring the back country when your out and traveling, depending your abilities, are insanely easy to setup for towing, are easy to "prep" for towing when you're hooked to the coach, and, like a tinker toy set, you can remove the top, and the doors for cool driving.

There are a zillion other authorized (by the manufacturers) not Remco or other sources for flat towing too. The Honda CRV is close to the top for choice in toads. Honda's authorized them for years to be flat towed. Installing the base plate is a piece of cake and, the wiring is equally as simple and I use the stock tail lights. The ride is nice and the gas mileage is good but not great. The make a good, reliable, dependable vehicle and lots of folks are on their second or third CRV for a toad.

It all depends on just what tickles your fancy. We've towed Jeeps for years and used them in extreme conditions all over the western U.S. I got tired of conquering every run, hill, challenge, cliff, trail, in Utah, Colorado and more so, we changed to a CRV. That was good for a while but, we wanted to haul our Honda Goldwing with us too so, we sold the CRV and now tow a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab with a Rampage lift and the Goldwing in the back.

It works absolutely great for us. Having the truck and the bike while on our travels is premier for us. You just have to think ahead though. DO NOT BUY A TOAD THAT YOU HAVE TO MODIFY FOR FLAT TOWING!! There have been many folks who've purchased a toad and then realized that it's not flat towable without major modifications. Seriously bad move. Especially if you know you're going to tow it ahead of time.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We just traded off our 4Runner and now have a Fiat 500 Abarth. It is manual and yes it can be towed 4 down. Thom has now driven it for about 7k miles. He really loves driving it. You can get real good gas mileage if you don't drive it like a race car ....... (which by the way you do get a free track day if you buy an Abarth. They teach you how to drive the car on the track and then let you take off racing ....)
We do have the base plate and tow bar but still need the breaking system along with a lift for the Harley. But since we are sitting right now and not on the road we are taking our time researching and acquiring all the pieces and not doing it in a hurry. So while I can tell you the car drives nice I can't tell you yet how it tows behind the RV.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Our toad is a Range Rover, nothing to dislike, everything to like.

LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote