Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Tow vs. driving a support vehicle

I couldn't seem to find much with a search, so:

1) we currently tow a Geo Tracker flat/4 down;
2) we are going full time next month;
3) we also own a GMC Yukon;
4) the Yukon is NOT set up for towing and would require a tranny kit, a tow bar, and a baseplate;
5) we are planning on selling the Tracker and keeping the Yukon;
6) our mode of travel is just 2 of us ... we stop every hour or so for food/exercise/etc. .... we seldom drive more than 300 miles per day and usually stay 5-7 days per location.

We are strongly considering driving the 2 vehicles separately rather than investing in tow equipment. We don't mind being "separate" because we stop every hour and only drive a total of 3-4 hours in a day. No one watches TV or reads while in transit. The RV and Yukon have the same GPS's and routing info. Yukon engine/tranny wear is a moot point due to the low travel (vs. touring) mileage. The additional gas vs. tow gear has been considered and we think we will be ahead driving separately for the life of the Yukon.

Have I missed anything (given our mode of travel)?
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
Given the $$$ involved in the setting up of the Yukon, if you and your wife are in agreement with the driving duties. Sounds like a plan.

Even doing the install ( base plate and pump) myself; to set up to flat tow; parts were nearly 3k, that's a number of years of fuel.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dlovitt's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I couldn't seem to find much with a search, so:

1) we currently tow a Geo Tracker flat/4 down;
2) we are going full time next month;
3) we also own a GMC Yukon;
4) the Yukon is NOT set up for towing and would require a tranny kit, a tow bar, and a baseplate;
5) we are planning on selling the Tracker and keeping the Yukon;
6) our mode of travel is just 2 of us ... we stop every hour or so for food/exercise/etc. .... we seldom drive more than 300 miles per day and usually stay 5-7 days per location.

We are strongly considering driving the 2 vehicles separately rather than investing in tow equipment. We don't mind being "separate" because we stop every hour and only drive a total of 3-4 hours in a day. No one watches TV or reads while in transit. The RV and Yukon have the same GPS's and routing info. Yukon engine/tranny wear is a moot point due to the low travel (vs. touring) mileage. The additional gas vs. tow gear has been considered and we think we will be ahead driving separately for the life of the Yukon.

Have I missed anything (given our mode of travel)?
Make sure DW is good with your plan. I know my wife would not be.
__________________
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369, Spartan K2 Chassis,
Cummins ISL 450HP, Allison 3000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I couldn't seem to find much with a search, so:

1) we currently tow a Geo Tracker flat/4 down;
2) we are going full time next month;
3) we also own a GMC Yukon;
4) the Yukon is NOT set up for towing and would require a tranny kit, a tow bar, and a baseplate;
5) we are planning on selling the Tracker and keeping the Yukon;
6) our mode of travel is just 2 of us ... we stop every hour or so for food/exercise/etc. .... we seldom drive more than 300 miles per day and usually stay 5-7 days per location.
We are strongly considering driving the 2 vehicles separately rather than investing in tow equipment. We don't mind being "separate" because we stop every hour and only drive a total of 3-4 hours in a day. No one watches TV or reads while in transit. The RV and Yukon have the same GPS's and routing info. Yukon engine/tranny wear is a moot point due to the low travel (vs. touring) mileage. The additional gas vs. tow gear has been considered and we think we will be ahead driving separately for the life of the Yukon.
Have I missed anything (given our mode of travel)?
I say go for it if you can stand it.
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Make sure DW is good with your plan. I know my wife would not be.
We have discussed this in depth ... my sweetie is good with it . We figured we could manage without seeing each other for an hour ... actually, she seems delighted.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Given the $$$ involved in the setting up of the Yukon, if you and your wife are in agreement with the driving duties. Sounds like a plan.

Even doing the install ( base plate and pump) myself; to set up to flat tow; parts were nearly 3k, that's a number of years of fuel.
Thanks ... that pretty much matches my guesstimate. I don't mind doing the "wrenching" but it's not chump change and I get to do it again when the Yukon decides to croak.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
austx's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
We have discussed this in depth ... my sweetie is good with it . We figured we could manage without seeing each other for an hour ... actually, she seems delighted.
Why not try it. You can always set up to tow if you decide it isn't working. Nothing lost. Good luck and happy travels!
__________________
"Living Our Dreams and ❤️ The Ride!" Kay & Richard, Austin TX
2015 Itasca Meridian 36M "Roada"
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,966
If the Yukon is 2wd why not use a dolly?
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If the Yukon is 2wd why not use a dolly?
Thanks but Yukons are rear wheel drive (would need to dolly backwards) and are very heavy. I have ruled out a dolly and also ruled out a trailer.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Why not try it. You can always set up to tow if you decide it isn't working. Nothing lost. Good luck and happy travels!
Thanks ... pretty much how we feel. We'll do a few trips next month and see how it goes.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,238
I think your plan will work fine, except I do question 300 miles a day only driving 3-4 hours. 300 miles in 4 hours requires travel at 75 mph!

When the Yukon wears out or you get tired of it, I suggest a vehicle towable 4 down, or front wheel drive and a tow dolly. The latter would allow for future trade ins that wouldn't require the expense of new base plate installation costs.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think your plan will work fine, except I do question 300 miles a day only driving 3-4 hours. 300 miles in 4 hours requires travel at 75 mph!

When the Yukon wears out or you get tired of it, I suggest a vehicle towable 4 down, or front wheel drive and a tow dolly. The latter would allow for future trade ins that wouldn't require the expense of new base plate installation costs.
Actually, the 300 miles is the most we drive ... the 3 - 4 hours is our average time which is more like 150 miles.
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging trailer battery from tow vehicle fred481 Travel Trailer Discussion 12 05-22-2015 05:12 AM
What mods for tow vehicle? Mr. M Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 22 04-20-2015 08:42 AM
Choosing the right tow vehicle jamocorke Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 09-13-2014 12:21 PM
Best Value Tow vehicle? wfcentral Travel Trailer Discussion 2 05-01-2014 03:49 PM
Brake Light Issue when Tow Vehicle attached wfrazier Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 16 02-17-2014 01:23 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.