Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #1

towable cars

folks-
i am getting mixed info on the best cars to tow behind rv. please let me know...some say 4wd others say no...even the rv dealer seems confused...
don't want to trailer...just want to hook it up and go...please help
Papashap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out Motorhome Magazine's towing guide, probably the best reference.
Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
We have a 2012 Subaru Impreza, Manual AWD, haven't set it up yet for towing but will soon.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I've been towing a 2001 PT Cruiser for 12 years with for wheels down. I think it's the best way. Never had a problem.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

Don't forget to investigate a braking system for your toad when you get it.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Check out Motorhome Magazine's towing guide, probably the best reference.
Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
We have a 2012 Subaru Impeza, Manual, haven't set it up yet for towing but will soon.
We use a 1998 Outback with the 5 spd manual. Probably over 10,000 miles towing. All manual transmission Subaru's are towable 4 down. The full-time All Wheel Drive (AWD) works really great for those backroads and wet (rainy) highways. Our other car is a 2008 Subaru Tribeca with an automatic which is not towable (bummer!).

We use an original Brake Buddy for that emergency braking power.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

We went Honda CRV as it seemed to be the best fit for us. It's an automatic, and has the part time 4WD/AWD (whatever...) we thought we might need for doing some light off road (2 track) exploring, yet is plenty comfortable enough to travel for any longer distances.

When not in toad service, it's a great second car as well....

As it's a fairly popular toad, parts and support for pulling it easy to come by.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
i am getting mixed info on the best cars to tow behind rv. please let me know
Asking what is the "best" towd is kind of like asking how long is a piece of string. Best is relative based on your needs and wants. You will see towds ranging from tiny smart cars and minis to Hummers, Suburbans, and full sized trucks. Honda CR-V, Chevy HHR, and Jeep Wranglers are the models we see most often. What do you want the car to do, in addition to being towed? Do you need 4WD? How many people must ride in it? How much weight can you tow? My suggestion would be to first calculate how much the towed car can weigh, find something suitable for your needs within that weight and then check REMCO and the owner's manual (never trust what a salesman tells you-they probably do not know) and see if it can be towed four down.

We tow a 2WD CR-V and are extremely satisfied with it. Good luck with your search.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
We use a 1998 Outback with the 5 spd manual. Probably over 10,000 miles towing. All manual transmission Subaru's are towable 4 down. The full-time All Wheel Drive (AWD) works really great for those backroads and wet (rainy) highways. Our other car is a 2008 Subaru Tribeca with an automatic which is not towable (bummer!).

We use an original Brake Buddy for that emergency braking power.
I read in a thread someplace that Subaru is the worst Toad to use for towing. Had something to do with the front end of the Subaru.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford and GM have a number of cars with automatic transmissions that can be towed 4 down. Honda has the CR-V and Fit with automatic transmission which can be towed 4 down. Most FWD manual transmission cars can be towed 4 down. Most 4WD Jeeps can be towed 4 down.

It all depends on what you want to spend your money on.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Flat Towing

We did a lot of research before buying the Ford Fiesta we now have. It is an automatic that we have been flat towing. Once you learn the "process" that Ford recommends, towing has not been a problem at all.
HavasuRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It is confusing because there are no black & white answers as to what vehicles are twoable. Many 4WD drive vehcles are towable, but not all. A few AWD drive vehicles are towable, but many are not. A few FWD vehicles are towable without mods and most of the test can be towed with the addition of a lube pump. And so on.

The Motorhome Magazine DinghyTopwing Guides are the best listing of vehicles that are towable without making and modifications such asa lube pump. Start there and see if any of those vehicles suit your needs and the tow capability of your coach. If you don't like those choices, be prepared to spend $1000+ to modify some other vehicle for towing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

SeattlePirat,

We towed a 1999 Subaru Outback for 8 years, four of which were full timing, then we towed a 2008 Outback for 2-3 years. The ONLY reason we now tow an Edge is because DW got tired of shifting. If I had my way, we would now be towing a Subaru WRX so I could have the power I like.

We never had any problems with the Subarus. They were the most trouble free cars we ever owned and were simple to tow. No ritual to go through. Simply hook it up, put it in neutral, turn the key to the right notch, brake off and go. No speed limits, no starting it every so often - just go. But, you can only flat tow a manual Subaru, not an automatic. And, as far as I know, there is no way to change that with lube pumps, disconnects, etc.

Our two Subarus were probably towed a total of 80,000 miles without a problem. So, that thread may have just been someones isolated bad experience - or sour grapes.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just started towing a 2003 Chevy tracker (Suzuki Grand Vitara). 4 wheel drive, 4 door, automatic, 2,900 pounds. Tows like a dream.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #14

I can think of a couple cheap and highly versatile toads. For those that don't mind it a little rough, air cooled VW beatles and things are light, dependable, and can be fixed by just about anybody. They also have high ground clearance and when baha'd out, can go almost anywhere you can go in a jeep that doesn't require a winch. Forget fancy tow bar setups, just use an a-frame with the appropriate coupler. NO AC though!

For folks that need A/C, the first and second generation VW Rabbitt/Golf is pretty hard to beat. Again, really light and extremely dependable.

One nice thing about an old toad is you aren't heartbroken when it gets road rash.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote