Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #15

Just getting into to travelling going to use my 2007 Ford 150 King Ranch as a toad had to change drive shaft so wil let you how things go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #16

I have decided to use my 07 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 as a Toad. I am just going to unbolt the driveshaft from the differential and strap it up when towing. Only four 14mm bolts and nothing extra to break or cost (Remco disco at $1500). Think I will use the US Gear brake system. I decided against towing my Sequoia because I don't want to subject it to the flying debris behind my Monaco and when the transfer case is in neutral both output shafts are spinning with no lubrication from the input shaft.. Thanks for your help
Mike

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #17

Undecided on toad

We had been towing a Honda CRV for many years w/out any issues. We are now looking to tow a mid size truck and trying to decide between the ford Explorer sport track 4x4 or the Chev./Gmc Colorado/Canyon club cab 4x4.
Any suggestions??
Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #18

bounder04, I am also looking at the Sport Trac, Colorado, Canyon or H3T. (The H3T is built on the Canyon/Colorado platform, but weighs about 5 or 6 hundred pounds more.) I want 4 doors so the kids can have some room back there, plus I also want to haul the Golf Cart. The sport Trac and H3T are a little short on cart hauling space, so I guess I will narrow down to the GM trucks.

I now am using a Toyota Tacoma and it does a good job, but there is only a little jump seat in the back for the kids.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #19

Nuthut, I had a 2005 Sierra 4x4 extended cab as I also had a golf cart; It did very well towing but after we sold the golf cart, we needed something a bit smaller. The sierra sat 5 people and was quite comfortable in the back. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #20

I now am using a Toyota Tacoma and it does a good job, but there is only a little jump seat in the back for the kids.[/QUOTE]

What year and type of Tacoma are you towing? Did you have to use a driveline disconnect?
Thanks, Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #21

Ram 1500 4x4

I have been towing a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 behind my 40' Class A Deisel. I had to upgrade the tow bar to one that would handle 6000-10000lbs. Other than that its been great. Definitely requires a good braking system to installed in the truck.

Here's how we decided.
1. Truck to take motorcycle with us.
2. Rear seats so that friends can travel with us too while bird watching, day trips etc.
3. Rear seat windows have to completely open, not just half way. See # 2
4. Be able to tow 4 wheels down, no restrictions, no modifications.

At the time (2004) the Ram 1500 4x4 was the choice.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #22

towing a ranger 4x4 standard tranny?

I need some help. remco said I could tow a 2004 ranger 4x4 standard tranny 4 down without any mod's,as is. ford manual states that it can only be towed a total of 50 miles at no more than 35 mph without the mod's. It has a eletronic shifter,what do I do? I called remco an they stood by what was on their web site.
Does anyone tow a ranger like mine,and what did you do?
Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Remco's statement agrees with the Ford Towing Guide.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #24

Dirk, what manual did you get that from?It sure makes me ahappy guy.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlee View Post
Dirk, what manual did you get that from?It sure makes me ahappy guy.
Thanks
Here.

Click on 2004, then click on #12.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The guide says 55 and under for standard trans models. I think that could be bordering on dangerous on 70 MPH highways. Sure you could go another route but there isn't always a good alternative. Shift on the fly models are out.

This is good info though. We are still kicking around what to tow.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I had an '04 Dakota sport, had the electronic shift, with neutral, One of the best trucks I ever owned. easy to tow, no driveshaft disconnect.

I now tow an old school, 88 Bronco II. Long story, but a more usefull vehicle, for me. I use the unified tow brake from US Gear. very good brake system. ...but, it has to be installed in the vehicle, so you don't want to be trading vehicles often.