Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Towable Trucks

I am looking into buying a compact truck such as a Ford Ranger to be towed behind my MH. Are there any recommendations out there as to which trucks can be towed 4-down? I would consider a standard transmission if necessary.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

LamarAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We tow a 2004 Toyota Tundra. It requires a driveshaft disconnect. After driving the Dodge Dakota and the Chevrolet Colorado that are both towable 4 down without modification, the Toyota was head and shoulders a better ride, better quality truck. Now after nearly 6 years of trouble free towing and driving, I still consider the Toyota the best choice. They have of course enlarged the Tundra to where it is too heavy in my book to be a practical toad. If I was looking for one today, I would either go for a Tacoma or find a 04-06 Tundra in good shape. The disconnect is a small price to pay for this great truck. It weighs about 5K LBS.

Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of folks start with Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Guide. It's by no means the end all answer, but at least it'll give you some ideas. Click on the link on the home page - they have several year's guides listed. It's about time for the 2010 guide to be coming out.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

We tow a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 automatic for when we want to take motorcycle along with us. Other times we tow 2003 Honda CRV. Both have been great toads.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
04 Ranger Edge 5 speed standard transmission, tows great
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #6

If there's a particular truck that you're interested in, check here: Application Charts | Remco Towing to see if it can be towed and what, if any, modifications might be needed.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
4WD or AWD Dodge Dakota can be towed 4 down. Just put the transfer case in Neutral and shifter into Park and go...I have been towing my 2005 Dakota for 37000 miles with no problems...

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Towable trucks

Have had great success with a 4wd Dakota. Hook it up, move transfer case to neutral, put transmission into EITHER park or neutral, and off you go. Tow weight just above 4K pounds, and not expensive to maintain like the foreign trucks, parts easy to get should you need them. I've found the Dakotas to have their quirks, but a real truck. Good luck in your selection and happy motoring.
pklonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4. It's an automatic and requires a neutral tow kit, like many other Fords. Advantage of this is that the passenger area is similar to that of the standard Explorer but instead of a trunk you have a cargo bed. If the weight you can tow is a factor, the curb weight of approx 4800lbs could be a disadvantage.
Nonno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #10

Currently using a 2007 Colorado extended cab 4x4 work truck as a toad.

Due to the towing capacity of my rig I went with the w/t model, wet weight is 3975 with a bed cover and side bars. Note a w/t had no rear seat in 2007.
Several other members here use dual cab z/71's and I beleve they weight in around 4500. They have a much nicer interior then a w/t.

They tow great - simple shift of transfer case - steering wheel does not lock so no need to keep key in vehicle - no fues to pull or other issues.
Only thing our group noticed was the stock acc. outlet in cab sometimes had a issue with the power demands of Brake Buddy auxillary brake systems. We have all installed a the battery direct kit that was provided free of charge with a phone call to brake buddy and the issue went away.

Any other questions just ask.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
i would vote for the dakota. towed a 2000 4 dr 4x4 for 3 yrs now have a 05 4 dr 4x4 laramie been towing it for 5 yrs no problem with either. jim.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If there's a particular truck that you're interested in, check here: Application Charts | Remco Towing to see if it can be towed and what, if any, modifications might be needed.
Thanks for the link. I want to tow my 03 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 but the Remco site says it needs a driveshaft disconnect but this truck has the neutral position on the transfer case so can't you just put the transfer in N to tow four wheels down? Am I missing something else?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber4 View Post
Thanks for the link. I want to tow my 03 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 but the Remco site says it needs a driveshaft disconnect but this truck has the neutral position on the transfer case so can't you just put the transfer in N to tow four wheels down? Am I missing something else? Thanks for the help.
Don't know what if any differences there are, but I have an 06 Sequoia 4X4 and the owner's manual specifically states no dinghy towing.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Don't know what if any differences there are, but I have an 06 Sequoia 4X4 and the owner's manual specifically states no dinghy towing.
Does the 06 have only buttons for 4x4 or does it also have the shift lever on the transfer case? My 03 manual also states no dingy towing but it also states the tires must be the same size, do can not add spacers to the shocks, etc. all of which I have done on other Toyotas with no trouble so I am guessing that Toyota doesn't want to recommend towing 4wheels down but it could likely be done with no damage as long as the transfer case is in neutral but I sure would like some feedback from others who know more than I.

Thanks, Mike