Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Towables and tow bars

Hi
Me again new to rv g dint have rig yet that will be next fall thanks for your previous answers.
This time am looking for info on towables and which hitch?
Will probably buy a 36 foot trying to get one with a 300 engine .
michael huot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you talking about a Gasser or a DP and if so 300hp DP will only tow as much as a gasser about 5k.
Personally find something that you can tow 4flat. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler. Now bear in mind that they have to be 4X4 and have the correct transfer case. A lot of GM products are 4flat towable but check the Owners Manual for that car. Ford CMax and some of their other cars are 4Flat towable, check the owners manual.
Do not trust the dealers unless they give it to you in writing.
You will need a base plate and tow bar setup, also towing lights, either add on or integrated and a aux brake system.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Are you talking about a Gasser or a DP and if so 300hp DP will only tow as much as a gasser about 5k.
I don't agree with this statement on tow capacity and engine size. I had a Monaco 37ft with a Cummins ISC engine with around 300 HP. It had a 10,000 lb tow capacity. The tow capacity is a function of a number of things including the engine (more so torque than HP), chassis and hitch
Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

So here's my rig with scooter. Maybe an idea for you. It works. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463008272.147962.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	126783

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Thanks .So as I understand the equipment in kudos a tow bar on the DC and corresponding equipment on the toad (learning the buzz words).Do I need to buy the braking feature or does that depend on the braking system on the Coach which will most likely be an older 36' DP hoping for a Monaco 2000 to 2002.
M
Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your coach will always stop in a shorter distance if you have a toad braking system. More braking is always better.

Every chassis builder will tell you the chassis brakes are designed to adequately stop the GVWR weight, If the coach + toad exceeds the GVWR, they state an auxiliary brake is absolutely required. If the combined weight is less than the GVWR, then it will stop, but brakes on the toad (or trailer) will still result in a shorter stopping distance. Always. Of course, that may not be important until that one day some idiot pulls out in front of you, or slams on the brake sin traffic. THEN that toad brake is worth its weight in gold...

Some states and Canadian provinces will require a brake on the toad under their trailering laws. Some, not all, despite what some toad brake websites print. Rightly or wrongly, many states have different regulations for cars under tow than for trailers.

My advice: Don't leave home without a toad brake system.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #7

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 37'. Believe it or not, I already had a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop I drove for work. DH put the two hooks on the front of my car to use the Blue Ox system and we have a brake buddy. When we hook up my Fiat, we have to keep looking at the camera to make sure it's still there. It's so light he can't even tell its back there. We would never use my small car to drive an extended trip on its own, but it is soooo easy to hook up and take off then we get to our destination. It's a manual drive and we got the lights that are magnetic that sit on top of my car when towing. DH spent weeks researching what would work best for us and so far it has been great.
Cdsmith96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Toads

Hi
Thanks all for the input. Sorry about the spelling sometimes these tablets have a mind of their own still searching for our DP ,have a model in mind just need more info on what is needed besides the actual MH
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Lots of good help here.

I like Blue Ox.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
As mentioned....first you need to get a car that is definitely towable four down...not all are and may require a transmission lube pump (FWD) or a driveshaft disconnect (RWD).

Then once that is accomplished, you'll need to get a "base plate" specifically for your car and either you install or you pay someone to install. Most base plates run in the neighborhood of about $350 - $400. A couple of hours of labor to install.

Then, you need to get a tow bar...preferably the same brand as the base plate or else you'll hae to purchase adapters to mate the two different brands together. Tow bars cost around $1000...maybe a little less. Adapters are another $100 or so.

Then, you'll have to purchase and install a lighting system (tail, brake, signal) for the toad. About $100.

Then, you'll need an umbilical electrical cable to connect the mh electrical to the toad's electrical. About $75

Then, you'll need to purchase safety cables (or chains) to keep the toad attached to the mh in case the tow bar/base plate fails $50

Then, yoiu'll need to purchase a toad supplemental (auxiliary) braking system that activates the toad's brakes when the mh's brakes are activated. This can run another $1000 or so. Typically, most supplemental braking systems come with a breakaway device that will activate the toad's brakes if it becomes separated from the my.

Supplemental braking systems come basically in two flavors.

First is a box that you have to put in the front driver's floor and connect to the cig lighter 12v outlet and a lever that you connect to the brake peddle. These are usually cheaper but have the disadvantage of having to be installed and removed every time you tow or reach your destination. You'll also have to provide a storage spot for it when it is not in operation..about <$1000

Second type are those that are permanently installed (only once) and uses either electrical power or pneumatic power from your mh. These normally cost more but once installed are basically forgotten. Cost is about $1200, plus if you're not tool handy, there will be a labor charge to install it.

So, that about covers it. Well known tow bar brands that are pretty much equal to each other are Roadmaster, Demco, and Blue Ox. For supplemental brake system, best to do a search as there are plenty out there to choose from.

Hope this helps..

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow