Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Towbar/Base Plate Questions

I have found a used Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar. My plan is to purchase a baselplate for my Explorer Sport Trac. Which baselplate would be compatible with this older tow bar??? I am planning on staying with Roadmaster with regards to the baseplate.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Travel safely,

2014 Thor Challenger 37KT
Kinston, NC
wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roadmaster tow bar Roadmaster base plate, Simply go to the Roadmaster and find the proper baseplate there. It depends both on the tow bar and the towed car.

You can contact the company, give them the year, make and model of both the tow bar (or a photo) and of the towed car and they will get back to you.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Thanks for the response. I will contact Roadmaster for further info.
Travel safely,
2014 Thor Challenger 37KT
Kinston, NC
wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was told you must use a base plate from the same manufacture as the tow bar. They need to match. There might be exceptions, but that was the rule I was told.

And, the tow bar angle cannot exceed 4" high or low. If it's too low (angle downward force to hitch, Toad is high), you're toad front end may lift up when braking.

If the angle from the toad to the RV hitch is too high (Toad is low), you're toad forces the RV hitch up when braking and forces the toad front end down.

This is a serious condition. Use a 2" or 4" or more drop/rise to adjust the level of the tow bar so it does not exceed a greater than 4" rise or fall.
Attached Images
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They make adapters to connect Roadmaster to Blue Ox vice versa and others. I currently have Blue Ox baseplate and Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar.
2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH
2011 Honda CRV
campclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
According to Blue Ox, the toad end of the towbar should be level with the RV, down to no more than 4" below the RV end. It should never be higher than the RV end.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be aware that only the 4WD Explorers can be towed four-down, and those require a Neutral Tow kit that is no longer available - you may have to custom make one.

The Roadmaster website will give you the base plates numbers for your car - they will work with the Sterling tow bar.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
I am buying an FWD Ford 2011 explorer and both the FWD and the AWD can be towed four down without any adapter. I'm not sure which year your are referencing.

Dennis & Trish (and Sparky Doodle)
2013 Meridian 42E
2011 Ford Explorer
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote