Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Towbar price ranges???

Ok so trying to find why I'm finding price ranges from $149 to $1500 for towbars.
I want to tow a Jeep Wrangler TJ and we are not full timers will prob tow the Jeep 6 times a year for no more than 300 miles any one trip. So the cheaper brand sold by U haul seems to be good enough. But the huge price range is concerning me. What's the difference that could justify 10x the price?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheapest is a fixed arm A-frame tow bar that is mounted on the Jeep and tows on a ball hitch / receiver. When driving the Jeep, the tow bar must be removed from the Jeep or tied in a up-right stowed position. Two people needed to connect/disconnect. I towed multiple Jeeps this way for many years and thousands of miles.

Then there are receiver mounted tow bars - that stay with the motorhome. The tow bar mates to a base plate mounted on the Jeep. Or cheaper than a baseplate are brackets bolted to a aftermarket bumper or adapters to connect to D-rings of an aftermarket bumper. These tow bars have telescoping arms that allow for one-person connect/disconnect. Much more convenient and easy to connect/disconnect. More money of course. I now have such a setup on my Jeep, with brackets bolted to an aftermarket bumper.

Price ranges/variances for both types of tow bars exit - brand name, various features, steel or aluminum, etc.

Craigslist is a good source for a used tow bar. Where mine came from.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Ok so trying to find why I'm finding price ranges from $149 to $1500 for towbars.
I want to tow a Jeep Wrangler TJ and we are not full timers will prob tow the Jeep 6 times a year for no more than 300 miles any one trip. So the cheaper brand sold by U haul seems to be good enough. But the huge price range is concerning me. What's the difference that could justify 10x the price?
I'm not familier with the U-haul system but can say that during my search for a tow set up, I did not see any tows bars available in the $149.00 price range and if I can recommend, price a standard Blue Ox and Demco system and than compare what you are getting from U-Haul. Look at the base plate, tow bar, security chains etc. and most importantly the weight rating.

Now, from your profile, you are driving a nice Monaco and want to tow a Jeep, but you're not asking about braking systems which will be required in 46 states (??).

My Blue Ox Aventa and Air Force One set up cost $3500.00 for parts and labor. Primary objective was stopping and safety.

Good Luck
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

Okay so its a matter of ease of use and weight? Cause like I said for as often as we need it I will deal with one that is more of a pita than the more expensive ones. Thanks
Unless anyone has more to add.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post

I'm not familier with the U-haul system but can say that during my search for a tow set up, I did not see any tows bars available in the $149.00 price range and if I can recommend, price a standard Blue Ox and Demco system and than compare what you are getting from U-Haul. Look at the base plate, tow bar, security chains etc. and most importantly the weight rating.

Now, from your profile, you are driving a nice Monaco and want to tow a Jeep, but you're not asking about braking systems which will be required in 46 states (??).

My Blue Ox Aventa and Air Force One set up cost $3500.00 for parts and labor. Primary objective was stopping and safety.

Good Luck
Appreciate the info. Not sure I'm going to invest in a braking system as we used to tow a 6200 lb trailblazer with a Dolley without a braking system. The Jeep can't weigh more than 3500 its a soft top with 4cyl.
The brake system on our rig are the similar to the ones on trucks that weigh much more and never had a prob stopping with the dolly and much heavier vehicle. Plus its pretty flat here in Mi and Ohio.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

I wasn't questioning the braking ability of the RV nor the driving distance, only stating that 46(??) of 50 states require brakes for any toad weighting over 3000 lbs. and I'm sure that your Jeep exceeds that limit.Hope that you find your answer.

Also, from your last post regarding a dolley, are you planning to continue with the dolley or go 4 wheels down?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Pls don't discount the above advice. Failure to include a braking system could invalidate your insurance if you have an accident. JMHO...worth the coverage.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We towed a '95 Wrangler behind a 22' Class C for many years and had a basic Roadmaster Tracker towbar. The baseplate bolted to the factory bumper. Wired the lights from the Jeep using diodes. Used safety cables from the Jeep to the RV. Was always able to hook it up by myself being that the YJ was so light. And that is the reason we had a YJ....they are light, especially the 4cyl model with no a/c, standard transmission and a ragtop. BUT, they are a very very rough ride. In fact we have just upgraded to a Class A that will be delivered to us in about 3 weeks and we have just purchased a 2013 Wrangler Sport. We did not use a brake system in the YJ and, fortunately, never had a problem. HOWEVER, we will be using one in the new Wrangler. The new Jeep is almost 1000 lbs. heavier than our old one and that, combined with the bigger RV tells us it is time to get a brake system. Now we have to figure out which tow bar, baseplate and brake system is best for our new set up.
Good luck with you final decision. For what ot's worth, IMO it is worth having a good system working between the RV and the toad....whatever that "system" may be .....and, unfortunately, it may cost more than any of us would hope
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Appreciate the info. Not sure I'm going to invest in a braking system as we used to tow a 6200 lb trailblazer with a Dolley without a braking system. The Jeep can't weigh more than 3500 its a soft top with 4cyl.
The brake system on our rig are the similar to the ones on trucks that weigh much more and never had a prob stopping with the dolly and much heavier vehicle. Plus its pretty flat here in Mi and Ohio.
Oh boy, please let us know when and where you'll be on the road so I can avoid unsafe equipment.

I've never heard anyone say: "Gee, I wish I hadn't stopped so quickly and avoided hitting the car ahead of me". Usually it's: Gee I wish I could have stopped sooner and not hit that car full of kids ahead of me"!

The braking systems on an RV are only certified to stop the GVWR, (the vehicle alone) NOT the CGVWR (the vehicle and anything being towed).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #10

Brakes

I will never AGAIN tow anything other than a very small Harbor Freight style trailer (that has the bikes & coolers for a camping trip) without brakes.
I tried that once & lived thru it. The next time I NEEDED brakes it was the middle of March in Michigan, my travel trailer had them so no luck was needed in surviving.
I shopped a good bit on craigslist before I found the Brake Buddy I have.

Get brakes for the jeep.
becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue ox tow bar and Break Buddy setup off craigslist less than 1k with new baseplate.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The ReadyBrute towbars with ReadyBrake supplemental braking system built in from NSA RV Products was the least expensive setup I found.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great Lakes, check Quadratec 4 wheel drive, I believe they have a tow bar around $150 that mount to a bumper. Ready brake will work with that system. The law states that any towed vehicle weighing over 3,000 lbs is required to have a supplemental brake system. I've talked to people that that have been stopped and inspected to see if the brake system is functional. I tow a Jeep Wrangler with Ready Brute, one panic stop convinced me I had the correct setup.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #14

X2 in the ready brute. I got the NEW ready brute elite with blue ox ends shipped to me for less than $900. I have a 2012 Jeep unlimited so I went with a currie skid/base plate. It was only $200 shipped. So for less than $1100. I got a life time warranty tow bar (blue ox only 3yrs) and base plate. Why others spend over $3000 for a set up I don't know. Those electronic boxes on the floor don't work any better stopping.