Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the surge brakes on my boat trailer. Very simple and not much to go wrong , but has any one tried any thing like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Tow-Bar-with-a-Brakin...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the surge brakes on my boat trailer. Very simple and not much to go wrong , but has any one tried any thing like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Tow-Bar-with-a-Brakin...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Surge brakes are rarely used with large trailer loads. They can get "grabby" or cease to function at all if not well maintained. Most boat trailer use is light duty and short tows in nice weather, not long haul RV & Toad stuff.

But heck, surge brakes do indeed work in many applications.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Tow-Bar-with-a-Brakin...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max49:
Here's some more info on what your looking at.

http://www.readybrake.com/

Im considering this one for our toad to use with our Roadmaster 5000 TowBar.
http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html
Old 04-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a simple surge system on my toad. I have used it on 3 different hondas and am fairly satisified with its operation.

IMHO, a couple of items have to be thought thru before installing the cable in the TOAD.

1. When drilling the hole in the firewall for the cable and cable housing, it has to line up with the brake pedal arm. This may be difficult to impossible depending on what is mounted on the engine side of the firewall.

2. The few curves in the cable housing (no bends) have to be kept to a minimum to reduce the amount of induced drag on the cable when it is actuated. This requires pre-planning of the housing route.

Although this system has been functional, I will probably go with a different system on my next TOAD.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #6

Hello;
I have the READYBRUTE system installed on my RIGG.
Am very pleased with it, preforms as advertized.
I did the install myself. A 6 or 7 out of 10 job level.
Nice heafty tow bar and VG quality.

Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #7

I use the Readybrake from the same company with my Blue Ox towbar. I'm very pleased and can tell a difference in braking distance. If I hadn't already owned the Blue Ox, I would have considered the integrated unit. I did the Ready Brake install myself, not too difficult a job at all. We have towed over 10000 miles with it so far. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
Surge brakes are rarely used with large trailer loads. They can get "grabby" or cease to function at all if not well maintained. Most boat trailer use is light duty and short tows in nice weather, not long haul RV & Toad stuff.

But heck, surge brakes do indeed work in many applications. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As attractive as the price seems there are drawbacks to using this type of system.

In a tight turn if the safety chains get tangled or are too short the surgebrakes will lock up. On construction site I have had to cut loose safety chains on numerous occasions to get surge brakes unlocked.

If you have to back up a foot or so up a hill or over a pothole they will lock up.

In an emergency you can't just flip a switch and manually engage them.

In a full breakaway most will not protect you.

I too am tempted by the economy but...
Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #9

Some interesting points Neil, but most are debatable. I have towed my Wrangler about 10,000 miles over all types of terrian with no issues what so ever.

1) Numerious tight turns with my rigs 55 degree wheel cut have caused NO issues. If your safety chains are too short, than they will lock up on ANY tow system. Surge brakes only work if the tow vehicle slows, or backs up. Surge brakes don't randomly "lock" as many electric or air operated systems can in a malfunction. If you had to cut chains off a vehicle, most likely the driver jammed it going backwards. Driver error, and incorrect length chains.

2) A lock up by backing up one foot is highly unlikely. Unless you are trying to push the toad backwards up a 45 degree driveway at 25 MPH. As proof of this, 95% of all boat trailers have surge brakes, and some have even gone to a highly effecient disk system. Pulling into any boat launch will show some HUGE boats on triple axle trailers using surge brakes on at least 2 axles. A lock up while backing is just plain falacy. And, 100% of all tow vehicles can not be backed more than a few feet, if at all do to the front wheels not being locked.

3) No lock up switch is just a no brainer. I've towed for 35 years and never in an emergency have I ever considered taking my eyes or hands off of the wheel to fish around for a switch to flip. If stepping on the brakes of your tow vehicle doesn't slow you and activate your toad brakes, any minnimal braking achieved by an electricly operated switch will do anything to prevent the crash you are about to have.

4) Most surge brakes come with a break away cable that applies the surge brake and locks it in the fully engaged position if that should occur.

The bottom line is that modern surge brakes are fully reliable and functional as any electronicly operated add on brake system. One post you will never read is how the surge brake locked up while an RV'er was rolling down the highway at 65 MPH and melted his rotors and burned all four of his tires up before he noticed it.

And that's what I have to say about that.....

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote