Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Question Towed Brakes??

I'm new to dolly towing and this may have been answered before but I haven't found it.
I'll be towing our 2007 Highlander on a Kar-Kaddy 3 dolly that has surge brakes and lights.
I know I have to have lights for the back of the car in addition to the lights on the dolly but am not sure of the brakes requirements.
Will I have to add a brake system to the car so the rear wheels will have brakes or are the dolly surge brakes sufficient?
In Florida and several other states a trailer weighing over 3000# requires brakes on all wheels but I don't know if the car on a dolly is considered a trailer.
I expect the ultra conservative answer is brakes on every rolling wheel but am interested in what the actual statutes require.
Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
You don't need brakes on the towed vehicle when on a dolly. Just the dolly.

Dave

Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You do not WANT brakes on the towed vehicle.. The dolly is designed to stop the car.. but if you lock the brakes on the car the dolly may not be able to keep hold of it. So all you need is tow lights..

You have the following optiosn.

A light bar you hang on the back of the car (Do not recommend but good if you have several cars to tow)

Add-a-lamp.. This system you drill a hole into the "back" of the light fixture and snap in an andditional lamp.. I LIKE THIS ONE but alas it will not fit all cars.

Added lamps , or magnetic lamps. (Assorted reasons I do not like these)

Diode kit (Good)

you will need to splice in a connector on the trailer for the car.. Your dealer can do that easily.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You don't need brakes or lights other than the dolly lights and brakes,most states also don't require a tag for the dolly.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
You don't need brakes or lights other than the dolly lights and brakes,most states also don't require a tag for the dolly.
What he said.

Been up and down the Eastern states 4 times with only the dolly brakes and lights.

I may use them if I travel at night but I don't.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the inputs. I'm not going to worry about the brake issue but the lights are another deal. A few friend who are either active or retired LEOs have told me that, if lights are required, Florida requires lights on the rear of anything that's 4' or more from the tow vehicle's rear lights. According to them that applies even in the daylight hours when lights might be required, like when it's raining. They added that it would probably be rare to get pulled over for just that issue since Florida likes to stay tourist friendly. The only time it may come up is in the case of an accident where the lawyers want to show that I contributed.
IMO it can't hurt to add a set of lights to the Toad.
I think these will do the trick and can use them even if the wife decides to buy a new car.
Towing Dolly | Towing Dollies For Sale | Kar Kaddy - Demco Tow Bars
Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
IMO it can't hurt to add a set of lights to the Toad.
I think these will do the trick and can use them even if the wife decides to buy a new car.
Towing Dolly | Towing Dollies For Sale | Kar Kaddy - Demco Tow Bars

That's way more than needed. I have used these for several years without any problems and they cost less than half of the Demco light price.

65720-5 - Magnetic LED Towing Kit, Red - Grote Industries

Tags
brake, brakes, tow