RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
In Utah, a toad IS a trailer:
Didn't want to get into it before...but I agree.

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Didn't want to get into it before...but I agree.
However irrespective of how a trailer is defined, there is only a stopping test ( for brakes).

awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #31

[QUOTE=awol50;4901955]However irrespective of how a trailer is defined, there is only a stopping test ( for brakes). From trailers.com
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Actually, loaded and with gas, an Explorer pushes almost 5000lbs.
And, tag or not, the extra 10 feet it will push you in a panic stop could put you out in the middle of an intersection or worse yet, into the rear of the stopped vehicle in front of you. Legal? Illegal? Wrong question. Safe or unsafe, better question. Itís not just you, itís the safety of the rest of the traffic around you. Just my .02.
Actually, if I had a 5000#+ toad I would have toad brakes. But for my little 2800# toad? No thanks.
My dp stops plenty quick without brakes on the toad. As far as separation accident deaths. In the past 10 years probably 350-400k people died in car deaths. Point me to one death from a toad separation that had no brakes. One. Just one.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I know that answers to the question here will be all over the board and some have suggested that if the toad came loose without a break away brake you could be in a lot of legal trouble but one should remember this: If the lawyer is good enough to make a case out of "He did not have a break away on his tow car" he will be just as likely to say "His break away caused the tow car to stop suddenly and my client was injured when he hit it". Legally it is going to be a no win. There are no such things as accidents in this day and age, someone or something MUST BE AT FAULT!!! That said it is always the one with the deepest pockets!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdiscovery View Post
How important is it to have an auxillary braking system on my towed vehicle? I am pulling a 2017 ford explorer behind a 40Ft. discovery diesel pusher.
Enough that every state and province in North America require it.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Get caught doing what?
LOL. Get caught breaking laws regarding towing (towing without brakes, chains, etc).

Quote:
I know. Every day of the week I read about those accidents. Right? Point me to the last one please.
My example will be only anecdotal, but the previous owner of our rig was towing a Suzuki Sidekick. At some point in his trip, he was getting flagged down by passing motorists. He pulled over and found that his toad was no longer in tow. Long story short, it was several miles back and totalled in the weeds. Fortunately, it did not go into incoming traffic and no one was hurt. The hitch had come apart, due to a bad weld from the manufacturer. As the new owner, I replaced that hitch a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I will not have any issues. In 30 years of towing legally and appropriately, my only issue has been two blown tires and another time, a trailer that popped off the ball, due to a failed lock. Luckily, I was only going though a roundabout at low speed and the safety chains did their job.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #36

Quote:
If the lawyer is good enough to make a case out of "He did not have a break away on his tow car" he will be just as likely to say "His break away caused the tow car to stop suddenly and my client was injured when he hit it".
Wow...that's a stretch. Negligence trumps obeying laws every time. Is it possible? meh...I suppose, but again...a stretch. I'll take my chances with a properly designed and legal towing arrangement.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjohnson View Post
..."His break away caused the tow car to stop suddenly and my client was injured when he hit it". Legally it is going to be a no win...
Well, not exactly. The correct response is "his client was following the car ahead too closely and it is proven by the fact that his client could not stop or avoid colliding with the vehicle in front of him in time to avoid the accident."

General rule of thumb is that if you are hit from the rear...it is not your fault!!!

The braking system is required by law and as such, it is negligent to tow a vehicle without one.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Not true. WA, OR and CA go to a " performance spec" when it involves a motorized vehicle towing another motorized vehicle. You must stop in XX feet from XX mph. WA and CA have the same specification with OR being slightly tougher.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Not really true. Many states only have a stopping distance test. And the laws for trailers are not necessarily the same for toads, contrary to what the road braking industry trotts out there.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not true. WA, OR and CA go to a " performance spec" when it involves a motorized vehicle towing another motorized vehicle. You must stop in XX feet from XX mph. WA and CA have the same specification with OR being slightly tougher.
I have a couple of questions. Does the state test each vehicle and combinations? And somebody comes off the west coast, and is involved in a accident in a state that requires brakes, will you be able to prove you where not negligent for not having working brakes?

Can we look at this from another POV? Say a MH has GVWR of 22,000 lbs. Loaded and ready to go, the GVW is 26,000. How many of you will argue this is a perfectly safe situation? Reasonably safe? Safe enough? If this vehicle ran into your kid, was the driver negligent?

Now does it matter that the extra 4,000 is riding on extra wheels?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You're misinterpreting the code. In the case of Washington State, these formulas only apply to towed vehicle less than 3000 lbs. I suspect that applies similarly to most of the other states.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
...Now does it matter that the extra 4,000 is riding on extra wheels?...
Sure there are lots of RVs that are above GVWR, it is inevitable. Being above GCWR is probably less common but not unheard of either.

However, that 4000 lbs riding on its own wheels and easily able to create a moment on the rear of the towing vehicle is significantly worse that just being 4000 lbs over your GVWR.

Perfectly straight down the road, panic stop and you will stop eventually and still have total control. Add an angle between the TOAD and the tow vehicle and you had better be ready for steering thought that stop rather than just standing on the brakes.

Tags
brake, brakes, tow