RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Sure there are lots of RVs that are above GVWR, it is inevitable. Being above GCWR is probably less common but not unheard of either.

However, that 4000 lbs riding on its own wheels and easily able to create a moment on the rear of the towing vehicle is significantly worse that just being 4000 lbs over your GVWR.

Perfectly straight down the road, panic stop and you will stop eventually and still have total control. Add an angle between the TOAD and the tow vehicle and you had better be ready for steering thought that stop rather than just standing on the brakes.

My point is if your GCVW is higher than the GVWR, you are in the safety margin of the brake design, even if below the GCVWR.
And your point about the TOAD might push the rear of vehicle sideways is good.
In times past I have tied panties in a wad by suggesting that anybody that wanted to tow without brakes on whatever towing should be allowed if and only if they make their kids ride in seats attached to front of the front vehicle.

ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
LOL. Get caught breaking laws regarding towing (towing without brakes, chains, etc).

My example will be only anecdotal, but the previous owner of our rig was towing a Suzuki Sidekick. At some point in his trip, he was getting flagged down by passing motorists. He pulled over and found that his toad was no longer in tow. Long story short, it was several miles back and totalled in the weeds. Fortunately, it did not go into incoming traffic and no one was hurt. The hitch had come apart, due to a bad weld from the manufacturer. As the new owner, I replaced that hitch a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I will not have any issues. In 30 years of towing legally and appropriately, my only issue has been two blown tires and another time, a trailer that popped off the ball, due to a failed lock. Luckily, I was only going though a roundabout at low speed and the safety chains did their job.
So in other words, no injuries or deaths. That's my point. Way to much wailing about nothing.

awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
You're misinterpreting the code. In the case of Washington State, these formulas only apply to towed vehicle less than 3000 lbs. I suspect that applies similarly to most of the other states.
Where does the code say that in the WAC or RCW?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #46

Is anyone out there familiar with the fleetmaster 9300 ?
jtdiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
My point is if your GCVW is higher than the GVWR, you are in the safety margin of the brake design, even if below the GCVWR.
And your point about the TOAD might push the rear of vehicle sideways is good.
In times past I have tied panties in a wad by suggesting that anybody that wanted to tow without brakes on whatever towing should be allowed if and only if they make their kids ride in seats attached to front of the front vehicle.
My question; young children or teenagers?! :-D
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I know. Every day of the week I read about those accidents. Right? Point me to the last one please.
We had a boat, motor and trailer come across into us headon with virtually no notice at 70 mph. My 4 wheel drive pickup was totalled. Bent the boat and trailer in half. 4 inch square winch mount tore the front axle almost off. Maybe 2000 lbs with gear and stuff in the boat. His bad. Ball came out of the mount. 1 dog chain like safety chain. Put new ball on and neglected to tighten.
He paid a huge equipment fine. His insurance bought me another truck. Lucky for light traffic. No injuries.
I tow a 2018 Wrangler behind 40 pusher. Wouldn't go across town without aux brake. If we had been in our Corvette or any low slung car we would have been toast.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cats View Post
We had a boat, motor and trailer come across into us headon with virtually no notice at 70 mph. My 4 wheel drive pickup was totalled. Bent the boat and trailer in half. 4 inch square winch mount tore the front axle almost off. Maybe 2000 lbs with gear and stuff in the boat. His bad. Ball came out of the mount. 1 dog chain like safety chain. Put new ball on and neglected to tighten.
He paid a huge equipment fine. His insurance bought me another truck. Lucky for light traffic. No injuries.
I tow a 2018 Wrangler behind 40 pusher. Wouldn't go across town without aux brake. If we had been in our Corvette or any low slung car we would have been toast.
We're talking about toads here. Not boat trailers.

Tags
brake, brakes, tow