Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Sure there are lots of RVs that are above GVWR, it is inevitable. Being above GCWR is probably less common but not unheard of either.

However, that 4000 lbs riding on its own wheels and easily able to create a moment on the rear of the towing vehicle is significantly worse that just being 4000 lbs over your GVWR.

Perfectly straight down the road, panic stop and you will stop eventually and still have total control. Add an angle between the TOAD and the tow vehicle and you had better be ready for steering thought that stop rather than just standing on the brakes.

My point is if your GCVW is higher than the GVWR, you are in the safety margin of the brake design, even if below the GCVWR.
And your point about the TOAD might push the rear of vehicle sideways is good.
In times past I have tied panties in a wad by suggesting that anybody that wanted to tow without brakes on whatever towing should be allowed if and only if they make their kids ride in seats attached to front of the front vehicle.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
LOL. Get caught breaking laws regarding towing (towing without brakes, chains, etc).

My example will be only anecdotal, but the previous owner of our rig was towing a Suzuki Sidekick. At some point in his trip, he was getting flagged down by passing motorists. He pulled over and found that his toad was no longer in tow. Long story short, it was several miles back and totalled in the weeds. Fortunately, it did not go into incoming traffic and no one was hurt. The hitch had come apart, due to a bad weld from the manufacturer. As the new owner, I replaced that hitch a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I will not have any issues. In 30 years of towing legally and appropriately, my only issue has been two blown tires and another time, a trailer that popped off the ball, due to a failed lock. Luckily, I was only going though a roundabout at low speed and the safety chains did their job.
So in other words, no injuries or deaths. That's my point. Way to much wailing about nothing.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
You're misinterpreting the code. In the case of Washington State, these formulas only apply to towed vehicle less than 3000 lbs. I suspect that applies similarly to most of the other states.
Where does the code say that in the WAC or RCW?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #46

Is anyone out there familiar with the fleetmaster 9300 ?
jtdiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
My point is if your GCVW is higher than the GVWR, you are in the safety margin of the brake design, even if below the GCVWR.
And your point about the TOAD might push the rear of vehicle sideways is good.
In times past I have tied panties in a wad by suggesting that anybody that wanted to tow without brakes on whatever towing should be allowed if and only if they make their kids ride in seats attached to front of the front vehicle.
My question; young children or teenagers?! :-D
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I know. Every day of the week I read about those accidents. Right? Point me to the last one please.
We had a boat, motor and trailer come across into us headon with virtually no notice at 70 mph. My 4 wheel drive pickup was totalled. Bent the boat and trailer in half. 4 inch square winch mount tore the front axle almost off. Maybe 2000 lbs with gear and stuff in the boat. His bad. Ball came out of the mount. 1 dog chain like safety chain. Put new ball on and neglected to tighten.
He paid a huge equipment fine. His insurance bought me another truck. Lucky for light traffic. No injuries.
I tow a 2018 Wrangler behind 40 pusher. Wouldn't go across town without aux brake. If we had been in our Corvette or any low slung car we would have been toast.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cats View Post
We had a boat, motor and trailer come across into us headon with virtually no notice at 70 mph. My 4 wheel drive pickup was totalled. Bent the boat and trailer in half. 4 inch square winch mount tore the front axle almost off. Maybe 2000 lbs with gear and stuff in the boat. His bad. Ball came out of the mount. 1 dog chain like safety chain. Put new ball on and neglected to tighten.
He paid a huge equipment fine. His insurance bought me another truck. Lucky for light traffic. No injuries.
I tow a 2018 Wrangler behind 40 pusher. Wouldn't go across town without aux brake. If we had been in our Corvette or any low slung car we would have been toast.
We're talking about toads here. Not boat trailers.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #50
isa

Triple E Owners Club
This is for 2Newsomes who wrote

"Enough that every state and province in North America require it".

Where do you live?

Would you kindly state what your states DMV says about auxilliary braking devices for towed vehicles?

The URL for your states towed vehicle brake requirements, please !!!!!!!!
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure if there's anything to debate here. It's kind of like wearing a seat belt; better safe than sorry.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #52

Extremely, exceptionally important. Don't cheap out on safety.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #53

I believe it weighs more than 1500 lbs so that means most states require brakes! Don’t have an auxiliary braking system don’t get in an accident or get stopped by a trooper, you will get a ticket and will not be towing it until you do. Just sayn’
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We pull a 4d Jeep behind our 40ft DP and didn’t think we needed them until we had to stop fast on I20. We luckily missed the semi in front of us by an inch but not so lucky for the trucker behind us. As soon as our rig was repaired we bought a braking system for the Jeep. Not worth finding out you need them.
Austin MAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by isa View Post
This is for 2Newsomes who wrote

"Enough that every state and province in North America require it".

Where do you live?

Would you kindly state what your states DMV says about auxilliary braking devices for towed vehicles?

The URL for your states towed vehicle brake requirements, please !!!!!!!!
Alaska Admin Code

Article 4
Brakes and Other Equipment

13 AAC 04.205. Brakes
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicles must have a service braking system which will stop the vehicle or combination of vehicles within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour on a level, dry, smooth, clear, hard surface, except that a passenger car or other single-unit vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less must be able to stop within 25 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour on a similar surface.
(b) A motor vehicle or combination of vehicles, except a motor-driven cycle or bicycle, must have a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination of vehicles on any grade on which driven under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material.
(c) A motor vehicle or combination of vehicles must comply with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation.
(d) No driver may operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway or other vehicular way, towing a vehicle with a GVWR greater than 5,000 pounds, unless the following conditions are met:
(1) the towed vehicle must have operating brakes on at least two wheels on each side of a three axle vehicle, or one wheel on each side of a double or single axle vehicle;
(2) the towed vehicle requiring brakes must be equipped with an operating, breakaway system capable of applying all required brakes in the event of separation from the towing vehicle; and
(3) the towing vehicle must be of sufficient size and weight to safely control the towed vehicle.
(e) No person may operate a motor vehicle on the roadway towing more than one vehicle unless the towing vehicle weighs more than 15,000 pounds, has three or more axles, and is equipped with an air brake system for both the towing and towed vehicles.
(f) In this section, "GVWR" means the gross vehicle weight rating as defined in AS 28.40.100(a)(9).
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #56

If you haven't bought your tow bar system, check out ready brute elite with surge brakes system. Operates the brake pedal of the toad with a cable. No additional power required. Bought mine a couple months ago and equipped my 2018 Silverado 4x4 with blue ox base plate. Can't tell I'm towing anything behind my 2017 Palazzo 36.1
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, tow