Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Any type of toad brake that has inertial sensing will accommodate the situation yu describe. Surge brakes do that inherently, but just about all modern toad braking systems have some sort of proportional control based on a change of inertia (the slowing of the coach forcing a change in toad speed).

The interconnection with the brake lights is more of a safety interlock than a brake trigger. The toad brake will NOT come on unless the coach brake lights activate, but the amount of actual braking action is still controlled by the inertial change (if any).

The controls on some brake units allow adjustment of the max brake force applied and sometimes the aggressiveness (how quickly braking increases), but I doubt if you will find any system these days that just slams on the brakes when the coach brake lights come on. That level of tech was obsolete 15 years ago.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #16

Does anyone have the website address for NSA Products ReadyBrute Elite?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Does anyone have the website address for NSA Products ReadyBrute Elite?
Harry-

Here you go.

ReadyBruteâ„¢ Elite RV Tow Bar
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #18

Thanks Mark, I couldn't find it to save me!

I just realized where I went wrong. I didn't realize ReadyBreak and ReadyBrute are the same thing?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:

I just realized where I went wrong. I didn't realize ReadyBreak and ReadyBrute are the same thing?
Harry-

They aren't. The ReadyBrute is a towbar with the ReadyBrake built in. The ReadyBrake is for people who already own a compatible towbar.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #20

Ahhh, I had no idea! Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I am in the Research & Hunt Mode for a Braking System to tow my 2000 Crv behind my 30foot Bounder which has a Reese Brake Switch box installed under Dash.
But I want to do the whole thing New as I am a Worry Wort and want it to be safe and also not Paying for my Full Coverage Gieco Ins. For Nothing.
Thx to all the Experienced Input in this & all The Threads you all have in here.
Feel better now about what to buy
lrodTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

If you Google ReadyBrute Elite and ReadyBrake you will find much lower prices than buying direct from NSA!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I second the vote for M & G for air brake motorhome or if fitment is a problem then Airforce One.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #24

Thanks Joe, I'll check it!

I like the idea of a surge brake attached to the tow bar. Seems kind of natural to me!

I've never liked the idea of tapping into air lines etc. I always liked the "Keep it simple Stupid"! As stupid I are!

Harry
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
One issue with surge brakes or even brakes applied when brake lights are on is that when you are descending a long grade and your MH engine brake is slowing the rig your Dinghy brakes will be activated.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
One issue with surge brakes or even brakes applied when brake lights are on is that when you are descending a long grade and your MH engine brake is slowing the rig your Dinghy brakes will be activated.
Actually not an issue. The only time the surge brake is applied is when your toad is pushing against the RV enough to overcome the built in resistance of the tow bar/surge brake combination. In other words you have to be trying to slow down for the toad brakes to be activated, in which case you would want the toad brakes to be activated, because that's why you have a toad brake system in the first place. If the toad and RV are traveling at the same speed, the surge brake is not applied.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #27

Yup, the readybrake / readybrute have been great for me for 10 years. Simple. No electric really involved. The surge effect is related only to the pressure the toad is putting against the motorhome and proportionate to the amount of pressure. The cable can be adjusted as well so it's completely up to the owner how it all behaves. The brake lights on the motorhome really have no effect.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #28

OP here. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm leaning toward the ReadyBrute system. Far cheaper than about any other combination tow bar and towed braking system. I like the simplicity of the system and it appears easy to install and it's proportional. I also like the fact that you don't have to install and remove a big braking box from the towed every time you want to tow or use the tow vehicle. As I understand it once installed there is nothing you have to do to the tow car to prepare it to tow except attach the tow bar and braking cable, is this correct?

I copied this from the ReadyBrute web site: when you are finished towing just fold the legs up then latch them to stow on your Motorhome receiver. Does this mean you can stow the ReadyBrute tow bar on the back of the motorhome and not have to remove it from the motorhome or stow it in the basement?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, engine, tow