Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Towed Car ?

Here I am again picking the brains of some of the most knowlegeable RVers on the Web.

Trying to find that perfect towed car, one that allows my handicapped DW to enter and exit easier than my Toyota pick up.

Was looking at a Chevrolet HHR and although it is a Geezer Mobile it looks like it might be a fit. I normally carry a scooter on the back,but it might not be possible on this rig as the only trailer hitch is one that has an inch and a quarter rather than two inch ball mount. I feel the weight of both scooter and carrier would be a little much.

Asking for opinions on the HHR or suggestions on similars.

Don WIT 70041

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have some friends and they have one, the mans wife has issues with getting in and out also and they love it she has no problem with getting in and out. As for the hitch I take it you have a class II

I found this

What Is a Class 2 Towing Hitch? | eHow.com
see if that helps explain weight

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Appalachian Campers
Honda no longer certifies the Element past 2005, but we still tow our 03. Ms C has to have a handicap scooter and we carry that inside the rear of the element. Simply put the rear seats up. They flatten and then hang on the sides. It has a tremendous amount of room inside. The scooter is not affected by the rain, road debris and buffeting of the wind on the cover like it is when mounted on a bumper/hitch mount. You probably want a newer toad, but this one sure works well for us.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Look at the Chevy Traverse or a Saturn Vue{used}. We just bought a Buick Enclave all the same body style and the are easy to get in and out of. I have issues also and we will have a scooter carrier on the class 3 hitch. Should handle it no problem. The Enclave is the heavy model but the run between 4300-4900. I will be right at my tow limit of 5000 but should be fine.I will but it on the scales to make sure. To tow the Enclave AWD you put in in neutral and key to acc. Pull two fuses and go.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a fulltimer friend whose wife is "mobility impaired". They have an HHR because it is low and therefore easy for her to get in and out. She has a fold-down travel scooter they carry in the back rather than outside ona rack. It's easy to setup and take down and no part weighs more than about 25 lbs.

That said, she can also get in and out of my GMC Acadia ok and it's a larger, more comfortable car. It can carry the scooter easily, inside or out, and still have room for passengers, groceries and whatnot.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote