Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #15

I'm in the same boat as having to decide on a braking system for my Jeep Wrangler. The only one I have discounted is the Blue Ox Patriot because of the 6-second actuation time. I know there are many satisfied Patriot users out there. I'm also worried about the box unit pushing back on the seat and releasing the manual seat adjuster. Also, I can't imagine how much force must be required to push the brake pedal and activate enough braking force when the vehicle is not running and has no power brakes.

I would like something that installs permanently, and had looked at the SMI Air Force One unit... but was surprised at the $3k+ installed price from the dealer. I was at the Tampa RV show last week but somehow missed all of the supplemental brake vendors. Luckily, I went on the 13th so I also missed the monsoon!

For those who have the SMI Stay-In-Play Duo, approximately what did the installed price run you? And are you happy with the coach notification method they use?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
FMCA Rally in Perry GA in March and most all vendors will be there. M&G would be the simplest, cheapest and easiest to install but they don't show one for your Jeep.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #17

Barmats-

I have the Stay-in-Play Duo, but installed it myself. So I can't give you an installation cost.

You might call SMI and ask which unit they recommend for your coach. I suspect it'll be the Air Force One. Some folks trying to make the Duo work on toads behind air-brake-equipped coaches have run into difficulties. The SMI folks will give you the straight skinny.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I'm in the same boat as having to decide on a braking system for my Jeep Wrangler. The only one I have discounted is the Blue Ox Patriot because of the 6-second actuation time. I know there are many satisfied Patriot users out there. I'm also worried about the box unit pushing back on the seat and releasing the manual seat adjuster. Also, I can't imagine how much force must be required to push the brake pedal and activate enough braking force when the vehicle is not running and has no power brakes.

I would like something that installs permanently, and had looked at the SMI Air Force One unit... but was surprised at the $3k+ installed price from the dealer. I was at the Tampa RV show last week but somehow missed all of the supplemental brake vendors. Luckily, I went on the 13th so I also missed the monsoon!

For those who have the SMI Stay-In-Play Duo, approximately what did the installed price run you? And are you happy with the coach notification method they use?
I ordered the SMI Stay-In-Play but after I got it returned it after talking to SMI. The problem is, it is not made for coaches with air brakes because when you use your exhaust brake and your tail lights come on so do the brakes on the tow, yes you can turn the system way down so the only time they work is in a panic stop
So I order the Air Force One, do it right the first time. I did a lot of calling around and just for the install only (Base plate-Air Force One-Lights) $650
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I love our ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! Very simple and inexpensive, yet gets the job done!
+1 . . . We also went with the Ready Brute and I'm very pleased we did!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

If you live in the North avoid Brake Buddy. Mine refuses to work under 30 degrees.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I went with the RVi2 brake system with TPMS , works better than when I used a dolly with electric brakes.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I ordered the SMI Stay-In-Play but after I got it returned it after talking to SMI. The problem is, it is not made for coaches with air brakes because when you use your exhaust brake and your tail lights come on so do the brakes on the tow, yes you can turn the system way down so the only time they work is in a panic stop
So I order the Air Force One, do it right the first time. I did a lot of calling around and just for the install only (Base plate-Air Force One-Lights) $650
2 stroker
I thought the "DUO" part of the Stay-In-Play system was that it only applies brakes to the toad under the following conditions:

1. Deceleration
2. Coach braking

Am I correct in thinking that the coach's exhaust brakes DO NOT apply the (coach) brake lights? That's what I was told by the dealer, but they may have been wrong.

I think the AFO would be the ideal system, but apparently the Spartan chassis requires an additional "pink" tank as part of the required air system. Total installed cost from the dealer was around $3k, which is making me look at other options.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ready break.. Good if you tow often but if you live in the great salted north and park the motor home for the winter you may need to replace the cable on the car come spring, EVERY spring.
wa8yxm
Good point

When I installed my Ready Brake I used stainless steel cable rather than
galvanized cable.
https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...cessories;cf72

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #24

Still using my SMI Stay-n-play with my dp that I used with our gas coach. The brake lights do come on with the exhaust brake. Yes, the system does have an accelerometer to determine when to add braking when the brake lights are on. I have mine set such that the deceleration of the exhaust brake does not engage the toad brakes. However, when applying the service brake, the toad brakes do engage. No problems with this set up so far.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the coach's exhaust brakes DO NOT apply the (coach) brake lights? That's what I was told by the dealer, but they may have been wrong.
Barmats
Some do ...some don't.

Mine originally did not but I added a wire, (with an inline diode), from the exhust brake relay to the brake light wiring so the brake lights illuminate with the activation of the PacBrake.
The diode prevents the PacBrake from operating when the PacBrake switch is OFF and I use the service brakes.

Me
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #26

Barmats-

Interesting... The AF1 installation instructions mention Spartan, but nothing about a "pink tank." Maybe someone who has the AF1 on your chassis can chime in.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Barmats-

Interesting... The AF1 installation instructions mention Spartan, but nothing about a "pink tank." Maybe someone who has the AF1 on your chassis can chime in.
You're right - no mention of anything pink in the instructions. I must admit I have no idea what a pink tank is but it must have something to do with the air system. The dealer (who is an Entegra dealer) said that because the coach uses a Spartan chassis, a pink tank would be required. I lost interest in the AF1 when they quoted me $3k.

I have no idea what typical labor runs for the Stay-In-Play Duo system, but I like the design. I will call SMI to ask their recommendation for my dp. Otherwise, I have been looking at the RVibrake2 unit.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I will look into all these. I have one question about capacity, it the equipment is rated at 5000# and I'm sure there is a safety factor built into that rating would it accelerate fatigue if you were using up to 80% of its rating. 6500# is better but if a person can buy a nice used 5000# Blue Ox or a Road Master and maybe plan on towing up to 4000# would you do it?
For me, I would spend the extra money and buy the 10,000 lb Aventa or Avail. Hook up and disconnect is better with these bars. IMHO,,,,

Tags
ems, tow