Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Towed Vehicle Brake System Question

I don't have all of the information that I probably should have available to ask a smart question regrading this subject, but it's to help a buddy so I'll plunge ahead anyway.
My buddy has recently purchased a 2008 42' Monaco Dynasty and will be towing a 1998 GMC 3500 4 X 4 pickup truck with a 350 gas engine and automatic transmission.
He is having difficulty finding information about what sort of braking systems might work with his pickup. Apparently the truck's braking system relies on the power steering pump to provide power assist to the truck's brakes rather than vacuum-and that appears to be giving him a headache.
Any information along these lines would be helpful.
If more details are needed, please let me know and I'll go back to him an pry them out of him.

Thanks,

Doo Dah Dave
DooDahDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
This is what I have and it works very well. Problem is you need an air supply.
Brakemaster proportionate towed car braking system w/ Breakaway- for air or air - By Roadmaster | HitchSource.com
There are also self contained systems that don't need anything except 12v.
Blue Ox BRK2012 Patriot Portable Brake System | Free Shipping - By Blue Ox | HitchSource.com
Hope this helps.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Towed Vehicle Brake System Question

Thanks R Weigant. Any information at this point is a help. I will pass this on.
DooDahDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Towing Help

We have found the REMCO site helpful when investigating what we need to tow certain vehicles. Click on the Tow My Vehicle link. Hope this helps.

Remco : The Towing Experts
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the RVI2 braking system and it does not require brake assist to work. In fact, you have to activate it three times to bleed off any power assist before you can use it. Very easy to set up and very dependable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Look for a system that is compatible with, or adpatable to, the GM Hydroboost brake system. I use a Brakemaster and have no problems.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Doubt that you'll find any braking system that relies on the boost system of the toad. Engine isn't running so no boost. My Brake Buddy pumps the brakes to ensure that vacuum is gone so that it knows how hard to push the pedal when needed.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The 2500 in my sig has the same hydroboost system, most Chevy/GMV trucks still use them to this day. I use a RoadMaster EvenBrake, does the job, but you can use just about brake you want. If the instructions ask you to cut into, or put a t connector in a vacuum line, call the brake manufacturer, most have a way to get around the vacuum line cut or t connector, but you have to ask. If you want to save a few bucks, look here on the classifieds and you can usually pick something up that someone no longer needs or uses.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several systems.. Most pedal puller/pusher systems will work because there is an electric pump that runs to provide boost if the engine is not running (however make sure the truck is so designed).

Thus Ready Brake, (intergrated with Ready brute tow bar) and Auto-Stop (Blue Ox's answer to Ready brake) Will work

So will Invisible brake, Air force one, US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator and in fact just about everything with the possible exception of the M&G (Cause it is the only system I know that does NOT pull or push the pedal down)

I recommend AGAINST the box in the driver's seat (Like Brake Buddy Classic) since installing them every time you tow is, realative to hooking up one or two cables, a lot of work, and it's easy to say "OH forget it"

Also, unless you go with the US Gear Decelerator system, I will recommend a "Towed Charge" system.. The US Gear comes with it.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
M&G toad brake best and simplest by far, there is a good post on the installation how to install on this forum. It is a easy install, I ran Roadmaster Brakemaster for yrs on all my toads until I read this thread on how to do the installation it sounded so simple i decided to install the M&G in our F150 and love it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have the RVI2 braking system and it does not require brake assist to work. In fact, you have to activate it three times to bleed off any power assist before you can use it. Very easy to set up and very dependable.
+1 totally agree. Very easy setup and the unit is small which is nice. You can get a bag to stow it in which we did.
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

I will be getting a new Canyon Star and I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I am looking for a good braking system and have been told by an RV dealer that the RViBrake2 is every bit as effective and easier to use than the Buddy Brake and Blue Ox Patriot. Any thoughts?
jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow