Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Towed Vehicle Question

Do all towed vehicles need a supplemental breaking system? If not what determines if one is needed or not? So if I have a 36' Super C, and want to tow a 2002 Camery, would some breaking system need to be installed? Thanks for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Do all towed vehicles need a supplemental breaking system? If not what determines if one is needed or not? So if I have a 36' Super C, and want to tow a 2002 Camery, would some breaking system need to be installed? Thanks for your help!
I seemed to have found the answers to my own question. Seems the law varies by State, so in order to be covered, it seems that having a SBS would be the way to go. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Yes you answered the question yourself. Aside from the obvious of being a state requirement, it is just plain smart. With all the crazy people driving nowadays, I want every bit of help I can get. Also, if something should happen I don't want to be in court and asked if I had brakes on all axles, and not be able to say yes.

Best of luck in your getting your toad ready. I can tell you my Air Force One works outstanding if you're looking for suggestions on systems.

Chad
Old 07-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

I would put the money into a tow dolly with brakes instead of the old camery.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
I would put the money into a tow dolly with brakes instead of the old camery.
I got rid of my tow dolly and now two 4 down. I would never go back to a dolly and the "old" Camery just might be in excellent shape and I would keep it if I could tow it 4 down. Yes you need brakes on any toad you have for safety.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I got rid of my tow dolly and now two 4 down. I would never go back to a dolly and the "old" Camery just might be in excellent shape and I would keep it if I could tow it 4 down. Yes you need brakes on any toad you have for safety.
Sadly, it seems that no Toyota vehicles that are automatics can be towed 4 down. Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Sadly, it seems that no Toyota vehicles that are automatics can be towed 4 down. Back to the drawing board.
Yes that makes things difficult. If it front wheel drive you can use the dolly. If it's all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive you have to use a trailer.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too bad so sad for the Camery. Get your self a used 4X4 Jeep Liberty or Wrangler Unlimited. Also most of the GM SUV's are 4Flat towable. No matter what you get, check the Owners manual prior to buying it to ensure it is 4Flat Towable. Don't listen to the SALESMAN. That's his/hers job SALES.
Also check the weight of what you are getting to ensure that your MH can actually tow it. Just because it has a 5k or 10k hitch does not mean it can actually tow it.

Tags
tow