Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #29
I'd avoid anything with electronic power steering like the Jeep Cherokee or the 4 cyl Equinox. Some have experienced a severe side to side shaking that is described as trying to roll the mh over. Jeep has admitted to the problem and is developing a method to power the ps while being towed. GM is still trying to blame the hitch or mh.
The 6cyl Equinox has conventional hyd ps and with 306 hp is a lot of fun to drive.

2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7, Cat C7 and Allison 6 spd
Honda VTX and Crusier Lift on the back
Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy, 2014 Chevy Equinox toad
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #30
We tow a 2007 Mini Cooper SS convertible on a tow dolly. If can be towed 4 down also. It weighs under 3000 pounds and is a blast to drive.

CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #31
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
. . . . Who pulls a Malibu?
We bought a 2015 Malibu last Fall and set it up for towing with the Roadmaster tow bracket, the Readybrute Elite tow bar and surge brake combination plus matching break-away brake, and the Towmate wireless LED brake light bar.

This past winter we towed it 2400 miles from West Virginia to Florida and other points around the South and back. We could not be more pleased. This towing set-up was quick and easy to connect and disconnect, and the Malibu does not require idling daily to lube the transmission, etc. On the way down, we hitched it up in West Virginia and didnít unhitch until a week later when we had made our way to south-central Florida. I recharged the Towmate light bar each evening. We basically did not even know it was there, except for being mindful that we could not back up the coach with it hitched.

Wayne & Michelle
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Dennis,
You're exactly correct - the 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokees have sometimes created a tremendous wobble shaking the coach violently - nothing to fool with! It appears that Chrysler has developed a fix for it. They designed a wiring harness that will provide power to the steering stabilizer while towing. They also install it. Campers, as we speak, have had their fix installed and are towing the Cherokee. I haven't heard of one problem - yet. So it appears that the problem is fixed - however, lets wait 'till end of camping season to finally evaluate the fix/problem.

However, it does bring up another area of consideration. How many towed vehicles out their have the same front end as does the Cherokee????? If Jeep had problems, shouldn't those vehicles have the same problem??? Maybe the problem needs to be expanded to other auto manufactures. I definitely plan on having mine checked out the next time I'm in for service.

Just thought I'd expand a little on your comment. If you want more info on the problem, contact BV @ 2flyrodders@hotmail.com .

backpacker048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LUV my KIA Soul 6 speed manual, 2800 pounds, true roomy 5 passenger, high style roof easy in easy out.

2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote