Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I hear from others that you don't need a cover etc; I have towed an explorer for around 30,000 miles I have a mudflap across the coach (factory installed) and also a big shield made by Blue ox. Modified for my road master. I have been slowly noticing small chips and dings as well as one bad enough to need repair, until this summers 5600 mile trip. We returned with a 10" long crack in the windshield. We now have a $290 brand new windshield! Nicest thing on our 2004 Ford! I am not sure there is any one "sure thing" when it comes to shielding the toad! Unless you put it in an enclosed trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
KIX

Thanks for all the responses.
I have been flat towing a Jeep of one year or another for about 12 years. Before now I never really had a huge issue with the windshield pitting. A couple of months ago we were heading into Lander, WY and came across a several mile long construction area. The road was gravel and dirt. Very dry and extremely dusty. Speed was about 25mph and spacing from the vehicle in front was at least 100 yards. Unfortunately my Jeep (being towed) was only about 5 feet behind the moho. It's not rocks chips, rather pitting from sand. Can't find any paint chips from that experience.
The moho does have a full width mud flap that is about 4" off roadway when traveling. Like several of you we have towed without a problem for many miles. Had I thought of it we could have discoed and driven the Jeep separately. Hind-sight 20/20. I really don't think the shield type protectors would have helped nearly as much as a windshield cover. When you do a lot of off roading as we do paint chips are inevitable and maybe windshield pitting is inevitable too. I'm going to persue the windshield cover idea. So, if anyone knows of a windshield cover that can be bought I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
This is what we've used on 3 different toads and 2 different coaches. Six trips to Alaska and over 200,000 tow miles.
curious - how many years have you been rving getting that many miles?
based on average gas mileage of dp@8mpg, you have burned 25,000 gal diesel fuel
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
curious - how many years have you been rving getting that many miles?
based on average gas mileage of dp@8mpg, you have burned 25,000 gal diesel fuel
We've been at it since 2001 for serious. Don't forget, just 6 trips to AK is around 68,000 miles for us. Then you add winters in AZ and FL, and you have to do something on the years you don't go to AK.... Well, it all adds up. When we're on the road, we hardly ever spend more than 2 weeks in the same spot. Too much to see and to do in these fine United States. Eventually health issues and old age will put a hold on this lifestyle, but we have it for now and will do it as long as we're able. We've friends all over the country and love to see them, even if only for an afternoon or a quick breakfast. (ps) mileage is around 6.8-6.9, but we don't care. LOL
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am looking at this.

Tow Car Shield
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyRV View Post
I am looking at this.

Tow Car Shield
How much is that and any idea on what's involved to put it on and off?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
How much is that and any idea on what's involved to put it on and off?
I called on Friday 09-22-13 and the cost for a Wrangler Jeep is $400 plus $20 for shipping. They are all set for the 2014 model. There are a few metal clips (covered so they don't scratch paint) that hook up to wheel wells etc.

Considering the coverage of cover (fenders, hood and windshield and compared to some Corvette Bra's I have purchased) price appears to be inline.

From their website...........
"Every Tow Car Shield comes with a 30 day trial period in which the owners can tow with it anywhere, without restrictions, in order to be sure that it is the right product for them. If you are not happy with the Tow Car Shield, simply return it to us for a refund of the purchase price within 30 days.

The Tow Car Shield is backed by the most generous warranty possible. We will repair or replace any Tow Car Shield for any reason, no matter the cause of damage. The warranty applies to the original owner only and car the purchase was intended for."

Plus it's made in the USA!
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
So what happens when you have the windshield (or the entire hood/front of vehicle) covered and you get into a situation as described above, with sand or dirt thrown up? I have had both wide flaps and the rockguard hanger across the entire rear off the coach. It happens. Add some rain or water from any source and you get this dust and dirt turning into grinding grit under that cover. It cannot wash or blow off because it is trapped under the cover and the wind causing the cover to move, however slightly, will grind this into paint of glass or whatever it is trapped against.
I guess I am being the devil's advocate here, playing the 'what if ' game.
Same with the front bra on a coach. Grit will grind into the paint when trapped behind that. Not sure there is a good idea for permanent protection except keeping the rig in the garage
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I guess I gotta ask... what makes you think you need a toad windshield protector? Have you had a negative experience in the past?
Not sure you even need windshield protection.
Ron
X2!
No toad windshield damage in 100K of towing.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyRV View Post
I called on Friday 09-22-13 and the cost for a Wrangler Jeep is $400 plus $20 for shipping. They are all set for the 2014 model. There are a few metal clips (covered so they don't scratch paint) that hook up to wheel wells etc.

Considering the coverage of cover (fenders, hood and windshield and compared to some Corvette Bra's I have purchased) price appears to be inline.

From their website...........
"Every Tow Car Shield comes with a 30 day trial period in which the owners can tow with it anywhere, without restrictions, in order to be sure that it is the right product for them. If you are not happy with the Tow Car Shield, simply return it to us for a refund of the purchase price within 30 days.

The Tow Car Shield is backed by the most generous warranty possible. We will repair or replace any Tow Car Shield for any reason, no matter the cause of damage. The warranty applies to the original owner only and car the purchase was intended for."

Plus it's made in the USA!
THANKS
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
X2!
No toad windshield damage in 100K of towing.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Good for you. We've obviously had different experiences.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #26

If you don't clean under the Tow Car Shield, you'll end up with scratched paint. No surprise there. However, we've driven the Top Of The World Highway in Alaska and had dust so bad we had to stop and wipe the tail lights off at least 3 times so others could see them. When we got to Dawson City, the bra came off, was beat over a line and after wiping the residual dirt off the toad, it went right back on. This thing works and does NOT DAMAGE PAINT. I don't know how to make that any clearer. Same for their coach masks. We're on our second coach mask that they've made for us and the same issues hold.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Tow Defender from Roadmaster Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Seems to work just fine.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
A frugal solution...Read a tip last year in one of the MoHo magazines... Find a used yoga mat at your favorite thrift store, secure it across the windshield by inserting the ends into each (open) front door, close the doors and you're good to go!

dc
Dogcliff is offline   Reply With Quote