Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #1

Towed wiring

I currently have a 2013 Honda CRV that I have wired with a Tow Daddy harness to run the lights (stop/run/turn) independent of the vehicle's wiring. I recently bought a Brake Buddy and I would like to know if I can continue to use the Tow Daddy harness since the Brake Buddy will activate the CRV's stop lights when the brake pedal is pushed by the BB?

Also can I use the wire currently running a brake controller in my MH as a charge line to my CRV's battery? What will I have to do to use it if I can?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have our 2013 CRV wired to illuminate the toad brake/running lights/turn signals with the coach. We use an auxiliary brake system that also depresses the CRV brake pedal. We leave the wire harness attached! The reasoning is when making a "gentle" braking action the auxiliary brake does not always activate BUT, with the light harness connected we still have brake lights!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The purpose of the Tow Daddy system is to prevent the brake lights of the toad coming on when the brake pedal is pushed - say by your braking system. The toad brake lights come on when the motorhome brake lights come on. When the motorhome isn't connected, the brake lights come on as they are supposed to. The Tow Daddy just has all of the diodes in a nice, neat package.

If you need to add a charge line, use the Toad Charge system. It has all the breakers and electronics needed to separate the electrical systems but keep the toad battery charged.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most folks leave the harness attrached and do not even think about the fact the aux-brakes will kick on the brake lights.. I know I did not. plus when you are stopped at a red light, the aux brakes are idle and thus no brake lights and turn signals work.

Now: Your other question: If you are going to go the towed charge route. I'm nto sure the light weight brake controller wires used on many Motor homes are up to the job. but it depends on the wire gauge.

The major problem I see is this: the front end of the brake controller line is inside the cockpit under the dash and the connection point for the charge line is outside, just where depends on the MH but in my case under the hood. On the other side of the firewall.

That said, not that big an issue, there is a suitable tap point under the dash.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Keep your wiring as is, you may need a Brake light relay.

From Roadmasters website:

Brake-Lite Relay Application
To determine if a Brake-Lite Relay must be installed: Without starting the towed vehicle, press the brake pedal. If the brake lights illuminate, the Brake-Lite Relay must be installed, unless: 1) the towed vehicle has a "bulb and socket set" (also called a "taillight kit"), or a magnetic light system; or 2) the towed vehicle has separate brake and turn signals.

Without the relay the brake light signal from the CRV brake will override the turn signal.

Tags
wiring