Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing '04 Honda Accord

We just purchased a 39Ft Class A Winnebago Journey. We are looking to tow my 2004 Honda Accord. Can you tell me the towing system you use to pull your vehicle please?

If anyone has suggestions for us we would appreciate it.
Lawgirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #2

If your Honda has a automatic transmission you have to use a dolly and keep the front tire off the ground. You can not tow a accord with 4 down.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #3

I tow my 2000 accord auto trans 4 down with no problems. There is a cutoff about your year and I would check. I use a roadmaster baseplate and towbar with a readybrake braking system.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Been towing 2002 Accord with automatic for the past two years, Roadmaster base plates, and braking system.
Just have to start car and run it through the gears... Search this forum and you will find the process
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-837684827.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	47122
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
We tow an Element (2003) I am not sure the 2004 is not towable. I think Honda changed their position in 2005 but I believe the platform is the same. It might be a good idea to see what your local Honda dealer service department has to say. Certainly the Accord is out of warranty so if it goes under, you underwrite the repair. Check with the service manager and simply ask if the 2002 and 2004 transmissions are inter-changeable. If so you are good to go. You can tell him what you are wanting to do and get a more candid answer if he says the two trannies are the same. I believe they are.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I think I have a Roadmaster base plate . Here is a previous discussion http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/f8...wn-113190.html
Make sure your last shift is from drive to neutral. I have been towing my 09 for 2 years 12,000 miles so far fine.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

I have been towing my 05 accord with auto trans for two years now with zero problems. Follow what "whodoc" said and you will be fine. I find it funny when someone comments about not being able to tow four down when they have never done it. Using roadmaster base plate and no braking system.
haskins1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl11 View Post
We just purchased a 39Ft Class A Winnebago Journey. We are looking to tow my 2004 Honda Accord. Can you tell me the towing system you use to pull your vehicle please?
If anyone has suggestions for us we would appreciate it.
Lawgirl.... if you have any doubt about flat towing, try checking either of these two fora-- they're specifically focused on Accords, and the folks their will likely know the whys and wherefores.

Drive Accord Honda Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums - Powered by vBulletin

FWIW, I've been flat towing an 04 Element for 15 months with no problem. Different platform, but here's the thing: my owners manual gives approval and procedures for flat towing the Element. In about 05 or 06, Honda withdrew this approval by simply excising the section from the owners manual. There was no engineering reason, it was all the legal department trying to dodge any future liability issues. The point is that Honda USA may well have embarked on this policy change across all platforms, and there may be no technical reason at all for you to have to avoid flat towing your 04. Check into it.

BTW, I use a Roadmaster Sterling towbar (that was on the coach at purchase), with the appropriate baseplate and bracket purchased from eTrailer. Works fine, easy install.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
This has been valuable information. I ahve a Honda dealer a mile down from home so I will take that advice and speak with them. I have been dealing with them for years.
Lawgirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Honda does not "officially" endorse towing the Accords with auto tranny four down, BUT, I have a copy of a letter from Honda Engineering stating that it's OK if you go through a shifting procedure before towing. We had a 2001 Honda Accord that we towed for 10-12K miles and now tow a 2008 Honda Accord. Have not had any problems. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote