Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Towing 10,000 # toad with 32ft Ford 460 MoHo

Towing 10,000# toad with 32ft Ford 460 MoHo -- Looking for wisdom of considering this. I will be over the recommended tow limit but let me have your input please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What kind of toad do you have?

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is in the numbers but I'm guessing that load will be pretty scary to tote with that rig.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejay View Post
Towing 10,000# toad with 32ft Ford 460 MoHo -- Looking for wisdom of considering this. I will be over the recommended tow limit but let me have your input please.
10,000, , wow, that's a serious toad. Our full size GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500 4x4 tipped the scales at 5,300. But, 10,000, what'ju got, a WWII armored personnel carrier?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll be surprised if the steer tires ever touch the ground
you also might want to ask your insurance company what they think before you go anywhere with it hooked up

jack r
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

I suspect it will tow it but the concern would be how safely? Handling, stopping ability? Liability if in an accident even if someone else is at fault. I've pulled a heavy enclosed car trailer with car inside with my diesel pusher motor home and I can tell that thing is back there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe a 32' F53 chassis has the main frame rails running all the way to the rear. (Mgrs will add smaller rails to extend the coach beyond that). What I'm saying is the rear could be beefed up to be capable of towing that weight. With that much weight, whateverthehell you are towing you would certainly need a breaking system. Then I would certainly hope whateverthehell you are towing had 4 axels.

I'm just nutz enough to try something like this on a flat road for a short distance, even though it's way beyond the recommended limits on the F53 chassis and drive train.

If you are actually serious about this and have any plans beyond what I just outlined, you are not nutz, you are crazy and asking for a disaster.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This must be over the weight limits of the coach, and limits of the hitch (unless planning to reinforce, etc.) in which case you would still be well over the weight limits of the coach.

You need more coach, or less toad. IMHO.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

At 10,000 lbs, what ever it is you want to tow , maybe you should consider the towing capabilities of that unit to see if it would safely tow the motor home.
JMHO. If you try this , you will be freight truck slow on acceleration, if the trans will hold together for even one trip, I'd consider that a miracle.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

You'll be over the GCWR before you even start. The motorhome itself weighs in at a little over 16,500 lbs without any water, supplies propane or people. The GCWR is 26,000 lbs. Add a 10,000 lb towed vehicle and you're over the limit.

As it comes from the factory it's rated to tow 5,000 lbs. It does have frame extensions at the rear that are approx 1/3 smaller than the original Ford chassis rails. I don't think there's anything you can do to make towing 10,000 lbs safe. Most diesel pushers are only rated for 10,000 lbs and they're built much heavier than the Ford F53 chassis
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #11

What is the rating of your hitch and tow bar? What is the the gross max load of your coach? My guess is that 10k is a bit much for a gasser. Most are rated to pull 5k max. Do a little homework and you'll soon find out 10k is reserved for DP's

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad, towing