Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Towing 1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collectors Edition

Can you tow a 1985 Buick with the Blue Ox tow bar attached directly to the front bumper? I cannot find a base plate for this car.

Towing with a Winnebago Vista
PhillipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Philip and Welcome to the Forum!
You have a couple serious issues trying to tow your Buick.
First, no. The front bumper is held on by a pair of energy absorbing shocks that are designed to absorb low speed impacts. Pulling on them would soon cause them to separate, ripping the bumper from the car. No fun.
Second. While you might find someone to fabricate some custom baseplates, I suspect the Le Sabre is likely beyond the weight towing capabilities of your coach.
Third, that model Buick is rear wheel drive and those GM transmissions cannot be flat towed without causing damage.
Time to look for a more appropriate toad.
Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Put it on a trailer. It can't be flat-towed as-is or dolly-towed at all. You could add a drive shaft disconnect for flat towing, but you would still need to have custom base plates designed. That plus the disconnect makes for an extremely expensive mod for towing, so a trailer makes the most sense.

Problem is, the car + trailer weight may well exceed the hitch & tow capacity of a View. Check the numbers carefully.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Though I agree with Gary and Nick that it would probably be costly to modify the car for flat towing, I just did some quick research and it appears that you'd be just a hair under the GCWR of your coach (2015 Winnebago Vista 30T) towing that particular Buick and that's assuming that you have the coach loaded to its GVWR so there's a little room to fudge there. The Buick is about 3,642 lbs at its curb weight and your coach has a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs at GVWR with a hitch capacity of 5,000 lbs. (drawbar rated). So in theory, you should be able to tow it weight wise.

Roadmaster's online chart indicates they can custom make a base plate for a '86 LeSabre so I'd have to assume they could also do it for an '85. So if it's important to you to tow that particular vehicle, whether you need a disconnect kit, lube pump, or whatever, and if you're willing to spend the money, it appears to be possible.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1985 was the last year for the old rear drive, full frame model. Guarantee if you roll it onto scales that it is over 4K. The '86 changed to FWD smaller, lighter unibody. That one uses a transaxle that can handle being towed, that's why they made baseplates for the newer model.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
1985 was the last year for the old rear drive, full frame model. Guarantee if you roll it onto scales that it is over 4K. The '86 changed to FWD smaller, lighter unibody. That one uses a transaxle that can handle being towed, that's why they made baseplates for the newer model.

Ah, sorry for the bad information. Now that I recall, you're right, there was a generation change from 1985 to 1986 where they went to the FWD H-platform (I think it was the H-platform). However, the curb weight of the exact model the OP is referring to appears to be 3,642 lbs. (click) so the towing weight should be well under 4,000 lbs.

So okay, I concur with everybody else. Probably best to stay away from towing that car.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for your responses. After considering all the responses and doing more research, I have decided to look for another toad. But, boy did that old Buick ride and drive great. Thanks again and where can I find a list of cars that can be flat towed?

Phillip
PhillipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipL View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. After considering all the responses and doing more research, I have decided to look for another toad. But, boy did that old Buick ride and drive great. Thanks again and where can I find a list of cars that can be flat towed?

Phillip
Phillip, the "official" list can be viewed in the guides available from the following years, 2000 through 2016. The vehicles listed are ones that have been officially sanctioned to be flat towed by their manufacturers and will have instructions printed in their owner's manual on the procedure to do so. Each year is in a separate PDF file.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides -- MotorHome Magazine

There are other vehicles that many flat tow which are not listed but they are NOT officially approved by their manufacture to be flat towed. You can do research on how to tow those vehicles but just keep in mind that their manufacturer does not freely nor publicly approve doing so.

Tags
tow, towing