Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Towing 2000 Saturn dead battery

Ending day with dead battery (brand new) after towing 2000 Saturn. Manual instructs putting ignition in ACC and tranns. in neutral, which works fine, but battery dead at end of 400 mile day. What am I mising?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3huskerfans View Post
Ending day with dead battery (brand new) after towing 2000 Saturn. Manual instructs putting ignition in ACC and tranns. in neutral, which works fine, but battery dead at end of 400 mile day. What am I mising?
You're missing a charge line from the MH Battery to the Toad Battery. Do a search dead toad battery and you will come up with your solution. Or just go into the toads and towing forum. Lots of info you're looking for.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Most GM products require that a fuse be pulled to prevent bat drain. Depending on what aux braking system you use, some [eg Brake Buddy] dont like the cig lighter as power source so direct line to bat is needed.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 3huskerfans,
You have two choices to prevent a dead battery. Run a fuse protected line from the coach umbilical connecter to charge the battery or purchase a commercially made product that does the same thing. A sample of a product one can purchase is at TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many draws on your battery when you put the ignition switch into acc. As stated you need to remove the fuse or better yet go to www.rv-partsplus.com and get the product they sell to bypass the system. My experience is that it works well.

Don G.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
3huskerfans
If nothing in your toad uses 12V when you're towing it, the battery won't discharge.
However if you have an "aux braking system" in your Saturn you are "missing" a charge line from the coach to the toad.

BTW, while being towed neither of my Saturns used/uses battery power.
I've towed 2 different Saturns, (a total of 105k miles), with no "charge line", the "ignition in ACC and trans. in neutral", and NO "battery problems"!
That's because, while "being towed", neither of my Saturns used/uses any battery power.

Mel
'96 Safari, '07 Saturn ION, (formerly a '97 Saturn S)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

I tow a 2001 saturn all day with no problems & thats with an Even Brake plugged into cigarette lighter. you need to pull a 30amp fuse (the one next to battery).
look under your fuse cover lid for fuse (ign 1/4) & pull-it. it disconnects multiple items that will drain battery. while adding a direct charge line from RV is a good idea, I can go all day without a problem.

I would also recommend carrying spare fuses, i've dropped them in hard-to-get-at-places & just use a spare.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #8

2000 Saturn manual does not mention fuse. Does your solution still allow brake & turn signal lights to work?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
2000 Saturn manual does not mention fuse. Does your solution still allow brake & turn signal lights to work?
3huskerfans
If everything is wired correctly, pulling any, (or all of), the fuses in the toad will not affect the proper operation of the brake & turn signal lights on the toad when it's connected to a coach.
Mel
'96 Safari, '07 Saturn ION toad
Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

"Wired correctly" means either diodes or separate bulbs are used to by-pass the toad's OEM signal, stop taillight lighting systems.......
Old 05-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
"Wired correctly" means either diodes or separate bulbs are used to by-pass the toad's OEM signal, stop taillight lighting systems.......
Right.
Those are 2 of the many ways a toad can be "wired correctly" for towing.

I wired my '07 Saturn correctly with 2 DPDT, (double throw double pole), switches in the toad's tail/brake/signal light wires).
No diodes, no separate bulbs were/are used or needed.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

WOW--that is a new one--how do you keep the feed back from going to the vehicle systems? I hear computer controls on newer vehicles dont like it.....many car manufactures wont even recommend diodes anymore.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
WOW--that is a new one--how do you keep the feed back from going to the vehicle systems? I hear computer controls on newer vehicles dont like it.....many car manufactures wont even recommend diodes anymore.
Old Scout
Switches, when wired correctly, make it impossable for feed back to go to the vehicle systems...(that's why I said "wired correctly" in my earlier post).

I used switches because I understand how they work...(I'm otherwise "electronically inept").
Mel
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Mel is correct, if you have aux braking that runs off your toads electrical system it will drain the battery. So will everything else that is still working while to tow your vehicle. I'd add the charging wire if you don't have one with aux braking. If you don't have aux braking then I'd find out which fuse to pull or install a fuse switch to stop the draining of your battery.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, towing