Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 2002 Frontier AWD All four Down

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier pick up. I would like to know if anyone has towed it all four down? The Manual says it shouldn't be. I see that once can get tow plates for it.
Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I found an informative (very positive I might add) discussion on this. Here it is:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing '04 Nissan Frontier 4x4 CC LB Automatic 4-Down
According to this, yes, a Frontier Automatic can be flat towed!
That was great to know for me!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I have a 2008 Nisaan Frontier 4x4 manual tranny and it tows fine four down. The manual clearly states that only a manual tranny is suitable for this. Since this is also a daily driver for us, I wanted to only follow the factory stated guidelines. I saw no gain in putting money into the truck only to break it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
It is a great truck; four doors, long box, and reliable to say the least. If you read the thread it was the Nissan dealer who apparently was a Jeep dealer as well that suggested it. They said that the tranny was similar to that of the Jeep. Some times there is a lot of misinformation including in the manuals and this is a case in point. For the automatics, you simply put the transfer case in neutral, and the transmission in Park and the way you go. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has done it. I'm certainly going to try it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
The Nissans are not set up as you describe. They don't have a neutral position in the transfer case. What you describe is common for the JEEPs, Chevys, FORDs, etc. The FMCA towing guide for 2002 clearly shows that the automatic is not towable all four down. To tow an automatic you may need to add an aux lube pump like the one that REMCO offers.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Bottom line is that it depends on the transfer case in your vehicle. Most models labeled "AWD" do not have a transfer case that can be placed in neutral and therefore are not towable. Some are in fact full time four wheel drive and you have no selection at all. But if your Frontier has a neutral in the transfer case, then use that and you are good to go.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Bottom line is that it depends on the transfer case in your vehicle. Most models labeled "AWD" do not have a transfer case that can be placed in neutral and therefore are not towable. Some are in fact full time four wheel drive and you have no selection at all. But if your Frontier has a neutral in the transfer case, then use that and you are good to go.
You are absolutely right! I have a 2002 XE 4WD that has neutral in the transfer case. Some of the newer models that rsflight refers to may not have this feature. Thanks for chiming!

Regards to all!

Tags
towing