Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing 2002 Jeep Wrangler?

Anyone towing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport, Automatic tranny? If so, any problems to worry about 4 down. What tow bar system do you have?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you certain that you can tow a jeep wrangler with an automatic tranny? I thought it was only a manual transmission Wrangler that could be towed.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

If 4X4, transfer case in neutral, trans in drive.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure the transmission is in gear or Park, not neutral. It has to be in gear (any gear or Park for an automatic) to prevent it from spinning when the oil pump isn't pumping. Of course the transfer case has to be in neutral. The flat-towing requirements are in your owners manual.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

We have been towing a 2003 Jeep Wrangler for four years. We leave the steering unlocked so steering wheel can turn, automatic transmission in park, and transfer case in neutral. We use a Demco tow bar and brake buddy. Never had a problem towing four down.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Our set-up is similar to dannynpat's. Our fourth year of towing a 2003 Wrangler, four down, with automatic transmission. Transmission in park, transfer case in neutral. I got a "dumb" ignition key made to unlock the steering wheel. That way I can leave it in the ignition and it will not enable the engine to run if someone tries to steal it.

We had a BrakeBuddy and it worked fine. The only thing I had against it was storing it when the Jeep was unhooked from the coach. I put on a Roadmaster Brake Master and the air cylinder can be stored under the driver's seat in the Jeep when not in use.

We had a Roadmaster All Terrain Falcon tow bar, but it got tweaked last week when someone rear-ended us. I picked up a rough-condition Roadmaster Sterling here in Sacramento day before yesterday and will use it to pull the Jeep home. Then we'll figure out what to do about a new tow bar.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

In my Blue Ox insructions it says if the vehicle gets hit also replace base plate. Might want to check your Roadmaster instructions. Or call them. May be damage jot noticed.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Our set-up is similar to dannynpat's. Our fourth year of towing a 2003 Wrangler, four down, with automatic transmission. Transmission in park, transfer case in neutral. I got a "dumb" ignition key made to unlock the steering wheel. That way I can leave it in the ignition and it will not enable the engine to run if someone tries to steal it.

We had a BrakeBuddy and it worked fine. The only thing I had against it was storing it when the Jeep was unhooked from the coach. I put on a Roadmaster Brake Master and the air cylinder can be stored under the driver's seat in the Jeep when not in use.

We had a Roadmaster All Terrain Falcon tow bar, but it got tweaked last week when someone rear-ended us. I picked up a rough-condition Roadmaster Sterling here in Sacramento day before yesterday and will use it to pull the Jeep home. Then we'll figure out what to do about a new tow bar.

FWIW
Our 2004 Wrangler with the automatic transmission has been towed 4 down for over 75,000 miles without any problems. As mentioned, transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, steering wheel unlocked.

Be sure to pump the brake pedal a few times to get all the vacuum out of the brake booster. The brake Buddy is supposed to work on a dead pedal (no vacuum assist). If you don't purge the vacuum the brakes will lock up until it's gone.

The dummy key only works if you have the "chipped key option". If you have this option the key has a chip needs to be recognized by the computer for the engine to start. We don't have that option, but the same thing can be accopmplished by swinging down the glove compartment and removing the #4 fuse. With the fuse out the engine will crank all day long but never start.

We use the same braking system as WindsorDave. It's easy to connect and disconnect, and it takes up very little storage space compared to a Brake Buddy.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the ingo guys..CW says they can set me up for tow complete with electric and brakes and all the tow parts I will need..3,000.00,,what do you all think?..I believe its a sterling hitch, not sure which brake system..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonational View Post
Thanks for all the ingo guys..CW says they can set me up for tow complete with electric and brakes and all the tow parts I will need..3,000.00,,what do you all think?..I believe its a sterling hitch, not sure which brake system..

I'm not sure what you mean by "electric brakes". I would ask the manufacturers name and the model of the braking system they quoted you.

As for the towbar be sure it's the Sterling All Terrain. It replaced the Sterling in about 2005 or 2006. The All Terrain model is easier to disconnect on uneven ground and when the towed vehicle is at an angle to the motorhome.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Hikerdogs, I meant the brake lights, Im not sure which braked system they will use but Ill remember all terrain,,I know its a Sterling..
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Have been towing our '95 Wrangler for at least five years with the steering unlocked, the transfer in neutral and the gear selector (manual trans) also in neutral. Guess we have been fortunate that the trans hasn't been damaged since everyone is recommending that the trans be left in gear or it'll spin internally without proper lubrication. We'll give it a try in near next time. Anyway, our previous 22' Class C did a great job of towing. Since the weight of the toad was so little we never used a separate braking system. We have sold the C and ordered a new Class A gasser with an even higher towing capacity so we'll give it a try once again without braking. The older Wranglers are light and, if I recall correctly, under 3000lb.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #13

We weighed our 2003 Jeep just two weeks ago. With a full tank of gas and oversized wheels and tires it weighed 3595 lbs.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Multiple Wranglers over many years/miles here. $3000 for towing setup - wow, that's a lot, IMHO. I have had differing flat tow setups. Currently have aftermarket bumper with BO brackets bolted to it and a BO Avanta tow bar via Craigslist, and also a Brake Buddy via Craigslist. Magnetic light set. Maybe $6-700 invested. Tows great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	35366   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	35367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	551866_454933201208203_2012986686_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	35368  

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing