Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I have towed a 2006 HHR for the last 3 years over 22k miles with automatic transmission at all speeds. The odometer now has over 36k also with no problems. It tows perfectly and like LeeB I would never know it's even there without the backup camera. I have all Blue Ox also and did not do any trimming for the base plate and it fits perfectly. When unhooked most people don't even notice the base plate. On the passengers side of the console is the fuse holder. The number 8 fuse needs to be pulled to disable the pass key system and stop battery drain. On the plus side when the fuse is pulled the ignition key can not be pulled out either. To keep from having to pull the cover of the fuse panel off and on, I went to the auto parts store and just purchased a rocker switch and in-line fuse holder with wire. Just pull the #8 fuse (third down from top right of fuse block) and attach the in-line fuse holder wires in it's place. Just use some blade type crimp on terminals. Place the fuse you removed into the in-line holder. Then attach it to the rocker switch. I mounted the rocker switch to the side of the heater duct right in front of the console. It's within easy reach from behind the wheel. Now to tow just put the key in Acc position, place the trans in neutral and flip the rocker switch and it's ready to go. I love the HHR and would buy another. It has lots of cargo room with fold down seats and gets 30 mpg. Maybe one or two less since ethanol but that's another story!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2007 HHR, with a Brake Buddy.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #17

The Facia on my 08 fit perfectly too. My first trip with it was from SoMD to Wisconson and everything went wonderfully. Like an earlier post mentioned...you need the camera to even know that it is behind you.(no toad brakes either)
I noticed on the first drive after un hooking a strong smell of abraded rubber. On the trip home I started the HHR several times and let it run for 2 min. or so.(like another manf. requires) When driven for the first time after getting home the rubber smell was almost not detectable. All later trips were fine.
Anybody else expierence something similar?
jOHN m eSTEVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote