Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Towing 2009 FWD Murano with Eze Tow Dolly

My Eze Tow Dolly will be here Monday. I'll be pulling my 2009 Nissan Murano front wheel drive behind my Excursion. Is anyone doing anything similar? This year Murano has a locking steering wheel so I'll have to unlock it prior to towing. I have a couple of questions to anyone with experience doing the same thing:

1) Once the car is secured on the dolly, do you leave it in Park or Neutral?

2) This is a push button start type car with a FOB. No key is inserted to unlock the column. If I press the "start" button without stepping on the brake, the steering wheel unlocks and none of the idiot lights are illuminated (accessory position). I assume if I'm going to tow any appreciable amount of time, Id need to disconnect the battery to keep it from going dead? How long is too long? I'd imagine if no lights or radio or other accessories are connected I'd be able to leave it like that for several hours without killing the battery.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have towed everything from a micro 2 door to a full sized (SWB) van (pulled the driveshaft) with our EZE-Tow.

The dolly will have no issue with the Murano (Edmunds says it weighs between 3500-4200lb as optioned). I would call Acme to see if they have any first hand experience with the Murano. Richard Brown (the owner) has been very helpful when I have had a question...and they are a sponsor here if you want to send a private msg.

You are right that the steering must be unlocked so the car's steering can pivot - just like for flat towing. If the accessory position will work to unlock the steering, then you are good to go...but be sure the computer will not shut off the juice after a pre-set time.

If you are worried about the battery draining while driving, a small dashboard solar panel plugged into the cigarette lighter/power port will top-off the battery while driving in daylight. At night, you might want to switch on the car's parking lights to illuminate the rear end corners (not required by law everywhere, but a good idea), so that is add'l battery drain. If you intend to drive for long periods at night, you might consider adding a circuit between the RV and the car to keep the Car's battery topped-off.

A power lead between the RV and the car can be a simple fused 2 wire (positive and ground) with quick connect.

You might ask your dealer to disable the steering lock to ensure it never inadvertently engages. It is a simple solenoid driven bolt in the steering...similar to the power door locks. They would just remove power to it while disengaged and it will stay unlocked. Steering locks are becoming a thing of the past because thieves can easily overcome the lock...and are not even standard on many new cars.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow, tow dolly, towing